Ortofon cartridges--please help.

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 17
I wanna buy a Pro-Ject Debut II TT, but am a bit wary of the Ortofon OM-5 cartridge that comes mounted.

I know the rest of the OM series are upgradable via stylus replacements (one can upgrade an OM-10 to an OM-30 simply by purchasing the OM-30 stylus). Is the OM-5 part of this deal, i.e., can I make it an OM-10 by dropping an additional $25 on the OM-10 stylus? The OM-5 cartridge seems to have the same externals, but are the guts contained therein a cut below the rest of the OM series?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Impatient little cuss, aren't you?

Here's the info from this site:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.378/it.A/id.281/.f

"Naturally, you can upgrade a Super OM 10 to a Super OM 20, or even a Super OM 30 at any time. Your only expense will be the cost of the stylus unit. And if the original stylus is not worn out, you can still use it for less demanding applications.

The Super OM stylus units are also compatible with all the bodies of the entire ortofon OMP line. IF you own an OM cartridge, you are able to enjoy the improved stylus and cantilever technology of the Super OM range. However, it takes a Super OM body with Ortofon's new magnetic circuitry to realize the full Super OM potential."

I'd give them a call if that doesn't answer your question.

Username: Len_bloom

Sarasota, Fl Usa

Post Number: 4
J.Vigne,

Which ONE of these models would unquestionably beyour first choice and briefly why?: Rega P2, Goldring GR-1; Pro-ject 1Xpression; MOTH Alamo.

Thanks.

Len

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Sorry, I don't do recommendations on the forum. You should read a bit and listen to as many as possible. I don't have your ears so it is impossible for me to decide what you might prefer.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us