JBL CCS with Onyo SK-40s?

Anonymous

I'm in the process of upgrading from my home theater-in-a-box. I currently have a Kenwood VR-407 receiver. I've inherited a pair of Onkyo SK-40 floor speakers (3-way 12"; maybe 10 years old or so). I also now have an option to buy a new JBL EC35 (3-way) center channel speaker at a very reduced price. Would this be an okay match with the Onkyos? Anyone know anything about these SK-40's?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous

It's me again. I have another question: how would the Onkyo SK-40s compare with the JBL E50 bookshelf speakers?

Here's all I know about the Onkyo SK-40s:
About 10 years old
3-way, 12"
Power: 100 watts
Freq response: 36Hz-20kHz
Sound pressure level: 91db/W/m
Impedance: 8 ohms

Here are the specs for the JBL E50s:
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 175 Watts
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak) 90 Watts/360 Watts
Impedance 8 Ohms nominal
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 90dB
Frequency Response (--3dB) 45Hz -- 20kHz
Crossover Frequencies 800Hz, 3200Hz
High-Frequency Transducer 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome, shielded
Midrange Transducer 4" (100mm) PolyPlas, shielded
Low-Frequency Transducer 8" (200mm) PolyPlas, shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 11-1/2" x 17-1/2" x 12-1/4"
Weight Per Speaker 25 lb (11.4kg)

I don't have the opportunity to audition either one before I make a choice between them. I am choosing between these because they are either very cheap (JBL E50s) or free (the Onkyos). Should I buy the JBL E50s (and stay with my current HTIB center channel) or take the Onkyo SK-40s and buy a new JBL 3-way center? Which mains would better stay with me over the next ten years or so as I upgrade receivers?

I'm a newbie, and would greatly appreciate any advice at all. Can someone help me? Thanks!

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
honestly, take a look at the athena packages that Best Buy has to offer. the JBL's are OK IMHO, but I am not a real big JBL fan. I think they are too much of a "boom and sizzle" speaker

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm considering JBL is because I'm getting a special offer because of a problem I had with a H/K DVD player. I can get them (or just about any JBL/Infinity speaker) for about half off. So $150 for the E50s. Are they worth considering for that price? Perhaps the E80s for $250? Or would the free 10-year old Onkyo SK-40s work just as well?

I'll try to listen to the JBLs this weekend if I can find them. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us