Polk RT55i - Bi-wire

Username: Pfitz

Post Number: 1
I have had my Polk RT55I's for several years and have not yet Bi-Wired them. Do any of you have these same speakers and have found that bi-wiring has help the sound quality. Also what is the best way to bi-wire.

Thanks for the input!

Post Number: 2
Hey guys, I would really like to get some feed back on this topic. This is my first post. Please help out a new guy.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2097
Bi-wiring is a well debated topic, you may want to use the search function to check all pertinent debate regarding the subject.
Some people claim improvement and some claim that it is hogwash and any improvement can be seen through bi-amping and not bi-wiring.
You have to decide which will work for you.

cheers

Username: Mb1

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 5
I've exchanged email a couple of days ago with tech support at Polk on the same subject. If you exclude bi-amping, there is only one way to implement bi-wiring. You simply remove the flat metal jumpers at the back of you speakers and run 2 wires from each of your amplifier terminals to the appropriate speaker terminals. The tech indicated that this is equivalent to increasing the size of the wires. Reference your Polk user manual, it is well documented. Bi-amping is another beast for which I have no experience.

<http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/manuals.php?category=3&speaker=179>

Below a copy of his comments. Hope this help.

"Hi, biwiring is essentially running 2 sets of speaker cables to one speaker. The effect is similar to using heavier gauge speaker cable between the receiver and the speakers. Biamplifying is when you use two amplifiers to drive one speaker. This is when the benefits of the 2 sets of terminals in the back are most apparent. You would use one amplifier to drive the top terminals and another amp to drive the bottom terminals.

If you have a Pioneer receiver, I wouldn't loose too much sleep if you simply connected it using the jumpers in place and one set of speaker
terminals."

Post Number: 3
I have a Yamaha RXV 1200. Would I get more watts to the speakers by hooking up one pair of wires to the "A" speaker posts and the other pair to the "B" speaker posts as if I had two pair of front speakers? Or do the A and B speakers share the same watts? Would there be any other advantage of doing this?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2115
Pfitz...the answer is no, to everything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us