Yamaha RX-V1500 / HK AVR 430 / Onkyo TX-SR702

Bronze Member
Username: Landlockedph

Post Number: 11
I am upgrading my home theater system and have been trying out a Yamaha RX-V1500 with my 7.1 Klipsch (RF-3, etc.) home theater setup.

Although extremely clear and detailed, the Yamaha seems to be lacking slightly in the low/mid end when listening primarily to music (jazz, vocals, horns, guitar, etc.).

I was looking for a "warmer/smoother" sound and found that in the Harman Kardon AVR-430. However, there are a number of things about the HK that annoy me. First, it's not the most user friendly and the EZ-Set doesn't provide a whole lot. I'd like to try the AVR-435, but the release date just keeps getting pushed back.

I'm also interested in the Onkyo TX-SR702. THX Select (like the Yamaha) and all the great features. Does anyone have any experience comparing the sound of the Onkyo TX-SR702 with the HK AVR-430? How does it compare when playing music sources?

Anybody who has experience with the HK AVR-630, Onkyo TX-SR702 and the Yamaha RX-V1500 please share your thoughts on sound quality. They all seem to do a find job on movies but I'd also like the best sounding receiver for music.

Please keep your comments to these three receivers and THANK YOU... this decision is driving me nuts!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 162
Of the three I'd recommend the HK, it's warmer sound compliments the Klipsch nicely. I'd also recommend Pioneer Elite and Marantz.

I have the AVR430, after the inital set-up, I find it very user friendly, adjusting speaker levels and switching inputs couldn't be easier. The EZ-set isn't bad as far as the automatic set-ups go, but none are as good as using a SPL meter.

I personally think the Onkyo will be a little too bright with the Klipschs.

The Marantz may be worth a look as they excel in music.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us