Speakers to complement my Bose wave radio/cd

Infusion
Unregistered guest
Hi, I currently own a bose wave radio/cd system and I use it frequently for my computer and CDs. However, I want to plug in more speakers to it for more sound (via its line-out jacks at the back). I am considering the Bose 201 /301 speakers OR the Bose companion 3 speakers OR the acoustimass 3 system. Will I be able to connect the acoustimass 3 to my wave radio/cd? Which would be a suitable choice? Also, will I be able to connect the 201 /301 speakers to my wave radio/cd?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 151
http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=B7MppCmYg1FTX1ThGKgZVQQHzrhVnwV7mKfJQSGrSBwSRxLhvw7d!-1842638463!566 892327?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=wrcd_wave_inthebox&linksource=produ ctnav_txt_inthebox&pageName=/home_entertainment/music_systems/wave/wrcd/index.js p

Well since they don't show back panels, specs or materials used in their marketing I don't know if the Wave Radio has any additional speaker outputs. In fact their website really only shows you pictures of the product and lists the specs as "4.2"H x 14.6"W x 8.6"D • (10.6 x 36.8 x 21.9 cm) • 8.7 lbs. (3.9 kg) " Being that it is less than 4Kg I seriously question its ability to drive anything but the two included paper drivers... with no bottem range and patchy mid frequency responses.

If it does have speaker plug-ins it is imperative to only mix Bose speakers with Blose speakers. Otherwise you will notice notes and sections of music being played on the non-Bose speakers. Audition the different Blose cubes and see which one sounds the most like the speakers in the Wave Radio.

Option 2 of course would be to take that overpriced garbage back and buy a real sound system. :-)

Infusion
Unregistered guest
My wave radio/cd does have additional speaker plug-ins at the rear, but I just realized that it requires powered speakers to use that additional functionality. It has a left and right channel output at the rear.

Now, knowing this, will the 201/301 speakers be suitable for my purposes? Are they powered speakers? How about the bose acoustimass 3 or companion 3 system?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
I just looked back on their site and they offer their 161,201,301 speakers in an amplifier package that comes with an external amplifier very much similar to the one used to drive car subwoofers.

But realize with the wave radio and these speakers you will spend upwards of $1000 on basically a clock radio with Stereo (2 channel) sound. For the same price you could have a 5.1 system with a receiver and 5 quality bookshelf speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324288-REG/Bose_034993_Lifestyle_SA_2_Ster eo_Amplifier.html

They won't even list how much power their seperate amps put out. Anyone have a clue?

Infusion
Unregistered guest
Do I NEED an amplifier for the acoustimass 3 system? As in, can I plug it directly into my computer or wave radio/cd?

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
The Acoustimass 3 system includes a powered subwoofer which also powers the attached speakers. The Acoustimass system will run completely seperately of your wave radio.

Acoustimass 3 speakers can be bought with or without an included amplifier. Your computer or wave radio has no included power supply to power the speakers however. The ONLY way to add speakers to the Wave Radio is to buy an extra amplifier per every 2 speakers added

You can plug the Acoustimass system into your computer, and get 5.1. But if you plug into your wave radio you will get 2.1.

Infusion
Unregistered guest
To clarify:

If I wish to use the acoustimass 3 system with my computer, an amplifier is optional for it to function?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
The Acoustimass 3 system comes with the Acoustimass module which contains an amplifier that powers the speakers. Hooking the speakers up directly to the computer will not work, you need some sort of amplifier.

Infusion
Unregistered guest
In that case...

I am trying to decide buying either a new set of companion 3 speakers OR an amplifier and a set of Acoustimass 3's (perhaps off ebay). Which would be the better choice? What are some recommended amplifiers if I decide to buy the AM3's?

Infusion
Unregistered guest
By the way, I just checked and found that the Acoustimass 3 and Acoustimass 5 are not 5.1 systems, only the 6 and higher are.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 41
i would take the money you are willing to spend on more bose crap and spend it on a real stereo sys. like kano said, you will be spending close to or more than $1000 for more bose. i have a 2.1 sys under $800 that would blow away a bose sys. and i am pretty happy about. if you listen to lots of cds sell the wave cd sys and get a cd player. i think you will be much happier if you do this. but if you like bose products, than no reason to take my advice.

Infusion
Unregistered guest
I am willing to give other products a try, but in my situation, I would like to buy a new set of computer speakers that can also use my bose radio speakers for sound. I understand that the bose companion 3 speakers have an auxiliary input that allows simultaneous use of both aux speakers and its own speakers (which is a great plus for me). However, I wouldn't mind considering other computer speaker systems (especially a 5.1 system) if I can use them in conjunction with my existing bose speakers. Are there any recommended computer speakers that fit my specifications? Quality sound should be my #1 concern.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
the klipsh promedia ultra speakers are amazing. theres also the logitech z-5500. both are 5.1 computer speaker systems with 500 watts. both great great reviews. i personally would go for the klipsch ones. i think the logitechs will be more user friendly since the control module has input jacks so you can hook up the bose wave to it. if you use the kplisch speakers you might have to route the bose wave through your sound card.

Infusion
Unregistered guest
I have never tried out the Klipsch speakers before. Are they worth that huge pricetag??
I have heard both good and bad things about the companion 3 speakers (bad mostly due to its price), but the price difference between the klipsch and bose are quite alot. The bose companion 3 + my wave radio gives me 4 speakers + ("2" subs), would that be similar to the 5.1 surround sound effect?? If anyone has any comments on this I would be grateful.

Gaband27
Unregistered guest
Why don't you just go out and pick up a budget reciever and something like the Athena Micra 6 or Audition AS-B1 bookshelves for that amount of money?

If you really need to hook up your PC to it, go to Radio Shack and pick up a mini-jack to RCA adapter to connect it to the output on you soundcard. For the same amountof $$$ as the CRAP Bose speakers your looking at you can have a FULL 5.1 system that you can upgrade later, and that will completely blow away the Bose.

Then you can move your over priced clock radio to the bedroom nightstand where it belongs. Trust me you'll be MUCH happier with the sound of decent seperates.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
well actually I dont see how you think the klipsh speakers are expensive when you compare them to the companion 3 speakers. the companion three speakers probably are 2" paper woofers with a 6" paper subwoofer and i would doubt that they have a combined power over 100 watts....and this is priced at $249. the promedia speakers are rated at 60 watts each, they have 3" composite fiber woofers and also have a tweeter with klipsch's famous Microtractrix Horn. the sub for the promedia is dual 8" woofer rated at 170 watts. thats in another dimension compared to the bose companion speakers. i just went to newegg.com a fairly reputable store and saw a price of about $360 with shipping. if you were to use the pricing of the bose companions to the klipsch speakers im sure that they would cost atleast triple the cost. if you want more info on why so many people dont like bose, go to audioholics.com and look for articles about cube speakers. we mean no offense to you, we just like to get people away from bose products.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-119-106&depa=0
theres a link for quick access

Infusion
Unregistered guest
The problem is that I live in Canada and I don't believe that newegg ships these speakers to my location. I've also looked on ebay but the shipping costs are rather outrageous. I have yet to see them here at any electronics / computer stores...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
ahhhhh....ic. that would lead to some problems then. i dont know too much about canadian stores and such so i dont think i will be of any help. just out of curiosity, what stores have you checked? if you r thinking of getting the bose companion speakers at a store i would think that they would also other computer speakers like logitech. sorry i cant be of much more help.

Gaband27
Unregistered guest
OMG...Infusion....they sell the Klipsch Pro-media speakers even at London Drugs for god sakes. What do you mean you can't find them in Canada?

Anyways....why don't you let use know what your actuall budget is? Second, will these be used as PC only speakers or as your main sound system?

My advice is still to go with a seperate reciever + speaker package. Take a look at these:
Athena Point 5 with P300 Sub for $599
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10055147&catid=1 4700&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10

Yahaha HTRS5730 Reciever $299
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&sku_id= 0665000FS10041999&catid=10551&newdeptid=10

For $900 total with free shipping you've got a system that will kill any PC speaker system, and is way,way, better than what your planning with your Wave radio + Bose add on's. I know cause this is the exact same system I own. Nothing fancy, and fairly cheap (wish I could afford a set of B&W 800's). But in terms of sound quality they hold their own, and sound way better than my father in-laws Lifestyle 35 system with cost like $3500.

Trust me man, run from Bose as fast as you can. And if your really strapped for cash you can unload your Waveradio on Ebay. I saw one today going for $500 CA, USED. So for like $400 out of pocket (once you've sold the Bose to some poor sucker) you can have a much better sound system that you'll be a lot happier with.

Infusion
Unregistered guest
My budget is around 400$ CDN, so all those speakers are out of the question for me right now... Are the bose really so bad? The sound seems fairly all right to me, and especially great with higher bitrate files like wav. Does anyone have that site that talks about the bose cube speakers' faults? I would like to read about it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
haha.....sure. heres are some from audioholics.com i was talking about before.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/cubedspeakersplacement.ph p
this one talks more in general but mentions about cube speakers which is refering to bose speakers
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/buyingguides/loudspeakergimmicks.php
here is one more specific to cube speakers
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/buyingcubedspeakers.php
heres another website that goes into more detail
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
and here is a pretty informative buying guide
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/buyingguides/loudspeakers/index.php

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Good links, all very well written. Straight facts without ever pointing out that Bose violates almost every rule of GOOD speaker design.

The http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html link is the most popular one with a direct review of the acoustimass speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
i love the speaker placement one. makes me laugh every time i read it.

Gaband27
Unregistered guest
Infusion...are you open to the thought of selling the Waveradio? There's plenty of suckers out there willing to pay top dollar for it. Take a look at what you can get for it on Ebay. For $400 + what you get for your Bose you could go with my post above.

Why are you so attached to it anyways?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
im guessing he got it as a gift and doesnt want to get rid of it because he doesnt want to upset the person that gave it to him. how about this, i actually own a 4.1 klipsch promedia set. it was factory reconditioned and works perfectly fine. what do you think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
http://www.canadacomputers.com/speakers.html
they have the logitech speakers i mentioned earlier
http://www.sprintcomputer.com/systems/parts.php?ViewPart=140005
another set of logitechs
both are canadian stores and within your $400 budget...well kinda.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us