Best match for rears? with Klipsch RF-3's as fronts

DDW
Unregistered guest
I am looking to add some rears to my existing Klipsch RF-3's to start a surround system
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-52tx receiver. Don't have the sub yet, but on the list.

I have recently purchased the newer Klipsch reference series in-wall mount speakers, the Klipsch RF5800kw's , to use as rear surrounds with my "slightly" older RB-3's.
I was VERY disappointed with the sound of the RF5800's.
They sounded as if the music was coming out of coffee cans.
I have some 10-12 year old ("Cheap" at $100 for the pair) Yamaha bookshelf speakers that sounded better in a side-by-side comparison. The Yamaha's are a little bigger, so maybe they have more range???? But, these little Klipsch in-walls were expensive to sound so bad. And I never really thought the Yamaha's were such great speakers. Good for the price though.

My RF-3's sound way better. I realize the RF-3's are tower speakers and it is not fair to compare them to in-wall speakers, But, I don't understand why there is such a difference in "quality" of sound. The RF-3's are now an older model having been built from '99 -- '01.

The RF5800kw's are the new in-wall speakers. There are some design changes as the mid-range cone is different. The cone is solid brass colored now, whereas the older model was brass on the perimeter and black in the middle.

I am wondering if I should consider the older design Klipsch RB-3's for rear surrounds. Or should I consider other bookshelf style speakers?

I have read through many of the threads on this forum. A lot of guys, trying to help a lot of people. Great deeds. Thanks!

I have read that the B&W's are really nice speakers. I was considering the DM601's.
Many people posting in the threads had also mentioned that the Axioms and the Ascends were very good speakers.
I have also heard the Paradigm's are apparently pretty good.

I tried looking up websites for the above.
The following appear to be options:

Axiom: M2i or M3ti
Ascend: CBM-170
B&W: 601
Paradigm: Couldn't figure out -- help would be appreciated, if this is a good option.

Others?????????

I would like to keep the price under $400.

What would make the best rear surround's?

And what would compliment my Klipsch RB-3's and Elite-52 system?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us