Keep new 5400 or swap for refurb 7400?

platypus
Unregistered guest
Soliciting informed opinions please. Just purchased a new 5400 for $449 plux tax and hooked it up this weekend. Really loved the sound - it was noticeably better than the 6-yr old Sony 30ES receiver which it replaced. Usage is about 70% HT (DVDs, HD - movies, sports, primetime, nature) and 30% music (CDs, DVD concerts, HD concerts). Currently running a 5.1 set-up with Energy C2s for fronts, 12" sub, AC-300 center, and a set of Pioneer Elite surrounds. No plans to upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 in the near future. Ordinarily, I would be content with the purchase, but I later found out that I could get a refurb 7400 for just under $100 more. Although the added power of the 7400 is tempting, I'm not sure if I really need it. Same goes for DPLIIx; would love to have it if I had 7.1. So, the only thing that is really pulling me still is the remote that comes with the 7400. I need to get a universal remote anyway, and was thinking of picking up the MX500 which I've seen in the $75 range. Is the RC1400 (could find little information on it) as good as the MX500 (very positive reviews)?

So, what would you recommend? Keep the new 5400 with the 3-yr warranty and get the MX-500, or return it and get the refurb 7400 with 1-yr warranty? The warranty is a consideration for me especially since it sounds like a lot of the early 7400s had overheating issues (I would suspect that the refurb bin contains a number of these). Anyway, after adding the cost of the MX-500, both options are about the same price.

TIA,

Mike

Username: Earful

Post Number: 3
You are happy with and know what you have already and also the longer warranty. The refurb is an unknown to you with a lesser warranty. I would say that if you ar happy with what you have and it serves all your needs stick with it.

platypus
Unregistered guest
Thanks CB. I've been leaning towards just keeping the 5400 but wanted to have a sounding board to express my thought process and see if I was leaving anything out of the decision.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us