New Panasonic SA-XR70 receiver

Anonymous

Just purchased the new panasonic xr70 receiver over a week ago. It really sounds great. However, I'm having a problem getting digital audio from my satellite/HDTV end (only the left and right speakers are displayed on the front panel). I'm getting sound from all the speakers, its just not coming thru in digital even though I have the TV on stations that broadcast in digital. No problem with DVDs (all speakers are displayed L,R,C,SR, SL and Sub). I've got a digital fiber connection from the panny into my Samsung HDTV satellite receiver. From the samsung I have a DVI connection to my Toshiba 65HX93 HDTV. I've tried running separate audio cables from the panny into the samsung, but the signal stills only shows analog. Understand from panasonic that it should automatically detect the digital broadcast. Does this sound like I have a connection problem or could there be a problem with the receiver itself. Worked fine with my old Pioneer sx608 receiver.

Thanks for any suggestions.....

stokey7873
Unregistered guest
i think it depends on the programming. you probably have to wait until one of the prime time shows come on that brodcast in dolby digital 5.1. I know that monday night football uses surround, but i don't know any others off the top of my head. the stations could just be sending digital stereo for most programming.

stokey7873
Unregistered guest
by the way... where did you get your xr70 from?

Username: Ben2e

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 4
Why on earth didn't they at least provide 2 HDMI inputs ? Otherwise it looks like a great value. I'm glad to hear you can bi-amp the outputs.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> I'm glad to hear you can bi-amp the outputs.

Actually I think it's only bi-wiring isn't it?

Wish they'd provide binding posts for the 4 other speakers too.

I was tempted by the sa-XR70, but I think I'm going to wait about another 5 years for the digital amp technology to get all the kinks sorted out and the price to come down for better quality.

Anonymous

I recently purchased an SA-XR70. It's an evolutionary improvement of the SA-XR45 which it replaced. I'd say digital amps are here NOW. The award winning one's cost $1500 on up. Makers of digital amp chips are starting to be numerous -- Tripath(Carver Pro), TI Equibit(Panasonic), S-Master(used by Sony), PS-Audio and others. The SA-XR70 compares favorably with receivers under $1000 including Sony ES receivers in that price range. The thing to remember about the Panasonics is that they excel at digital inputs. Their A/D conversion isnt that great. The FM tuner section is decent. And for biamping they work very well. The buzz on them started with ribbon maker Newformresearch.

edster922
Unregistered guest
I tend to think that digital amps are going to really be ready for prime time in about 5 years, at least the ones going for under $1K. I read lots of glowing reviews about the Panasonics but also some reports of glitches too, like shutting off at high volumes and also very unrefined treble.

The Panasonics' spring-clip speaker connections spook me, reminds me too much of the compact stereos I used to own.

Here's hoping that other midfi makers like Onkyo and Marantz will step up with great digital receivers around the $500 mark with all the features and build quality of their current analog receivers in that price range.

Makasuro
Unregistered guest
Why on earth didn't they at least provide 2 HDMI inputs ? Otherwise it looks like a great value. I'm glad to hear you can bi-amp the outputs.

Well with a Gefen 4x1 HDMI Switcher $349.00, you won't have that problem. :D

edster922
Unregistered guest
Not bi-amp, but bi-wire. Bi-amping is something very different.

123903845kljsdf
Unregistered guest
SA-XR70 is bi-amp, press a/b speaker together and a bi-amp led lights. Sounds great with Vandersteen speakers, clarity is amazing, bass is not as noticable as with traditional amps, something to do with phase I think, though it is very accurate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us