Onkyo vs. Denon

KBear
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a new mini-system (probably either gonna be a Denon UD-M50 or an Onkyo MC35TECH).

I thought I'd ask a question here about what the owner of a small store that sells pretty much all Onkyo stuff told me today, re: Onkyo vs. Denon. I also posted this in the speaker section b/c I'm looking for speakers for this unit as well. The reason I am posting it here is b/c I see a lot of people post here, and for Denon and Onkyo receivers are I think a core product. Here is my post that deals with the Onkyo vs. Denon stuff:

This aft I went to a small store that carried pretty much all Onkyo stuff. I asked the guy there about Denon and he said that they used to be good but then Hitachi bought them and since then it's been all downhill. He went on about how Onkyo makes their own transistors and all this other technical stuff (which went way over my head) explaining why Onkyo is way better. He said Denon uses 1-bit MASH technology which is inferior. He also said Hitachi is trying to make Denon a mass market brand, which struck me as wrong b/c you don't see Denon in places like Best Buy, at least I haven't.

Just wondering what people here think about this? Is Denon still a quality brand in high-end audio, generally speaking? And how does Onkyo compare? I'm also considering a Yamaha...to be honest I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of these names, but I'd still like to hear some thoughts.

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 43
I'm not buying the BS about Denon being a subsidiary of Hitachi. There's nothing about Hitachi on thier website, including the history of the company.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 974
Denon has nothing to do with Hitachi as far as I have ever heard. Denon and Marantz are owned by the same holding company but Hitachi is not unless someone can prove otherwise. I do find this buyout trend a bit sad and it's disgusting that Mcintosh is no longer an American owned firm.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 522
I thought Hitachi and IBM were owned by the same company. The IBM Microdrive storage device is now known as the "Hitachi Microdrive". I may be wrong on all of this though...I am speaking totally from something I read on a digital photography forum.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 378
On 4/16/2002, IBM and Hitachi announced plans for a multi-year alliance to form a hard disk drive joint venture, combining drive research, development and manufacturing operations, sales and marketing teams. Hitachi initially held a 70 percent stake in the new company. I'm not sure how much, if anything has changed since then.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 523
Thank you Sem, I guess I was slightly off.

KBear
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I thought the guy was blowing smoke but before I went out and bought a Denon I thought I'd ask this forum. I tested the Onkyo and it's nice for sure but I don't think it beats the Denon and I think I also preferred the Yamaha to the Onkyo. From what I've read of Denon on the Internet they still seem like a heavyweight.

I'm 99% sure I'll pick up the Denon but I will do a head-to-head comparison with the cheaper Yamaha this week to see if it makes sense to save about $150. If I like the Denon better then I may as well chip in the extra $150...otherwise in a few months I'll regret not doing it. But I haven't compared them on the same speakers thus far and figure I should do that...it'll either be with Missions or Energy b/c that's what the store offers.

However, I am leaning to pairing the Denon with Axiom M3ti bookshelves. The reviews are so glowing, and the stats look great for pairing them with a microsystem. I can't actually test the Denon with the Axioms b/c with Axiom you have to order direct. So if anyone has any thoughts about this pairing, please let me know.

There are a couple threads here about pairing Denon (receiver) with Axiom...some think it's a great match, others not so sure. The Axiom board seems to like the pairing. It should work. If not I guess Axiom's got the return policy.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 45
I have the Axiom M22ti and have paired them with the Denon AVR 2805 and then later traded up to the Denon AVR 3805. I am very pleased with the sound. Smooth, clean and crisp with a lot of detail. I sell my stuff off every 6 months to a year but I think I will keep this set-up for a good while. Great two channel as well as mutlti channel (DVD-A and SACD). My wife and I watched the Bourne Supremacy on DVD last night and the action had plenty of punch, dyanmics and intelligible dialogue. I have never heard a receiver with such command over the bass. Everything else I have owned (Onkyo, Yamaha, H/K receivers and Paradigm, Polk, Energy, Cambridge speakers have all sounded dyanamically compressed compared to this system.

Yeh, I like the combo...

KBear
Unregistered guest
Good stuff. The only question I now have is on rear vs. front port speakers. Because of the room I'm going to put this system in I can't really put the speakers more than nine or ten inches away from the wall. The Axioms are rear ported. I'm wondering if this could be a problem. Or is 9 inches enough?

The Energy C-1 speakers are front ported...so if 9 inches is too close then I may have to buy the Energys.

If anyone can help with this it's much appreciated!

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 50
I have the m22's and note that they have a wall mounting bracket on them and I would guess that the M3's do as well. To me that would indicate that they are suitable being close to walls. Of course, they will sound better with a little more room, but whether you would hear the difference is debateable. My 22's are about 24" out from the rear wall.

KBear
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I actually listened to the Energy speakers today, hooked up to the Denon, and I really liked the sound. So I think I am now leaning that way. It's so freaking hard to make the call!!!!

Fewer reviews out there on the Energys but what is out there is positive. I doubt I can go wrong with either of them. If the Axioms were front ported I'd buy them for sure. I just don't want a problem with the proximity to the wall, and since the Energys sound nice I think it may be the safer route to take. Plus they are on sale...from $400 to $280.

S and T
Unregistered guest
Hello, my wife found your forum and we both need to know if anyone knows what receiver would match the best with a pair of definitive bipolar tower speakers (BP7006). We are looking at denon, onkyo, and are open to other opinions. Thank You.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1015
I would look at Elite's, Marantz and H/K. Def Tech's do best with a warmer receiver. You did not state a budget but look at the Elite 54 and 56, Marantz 7500 and H/K 435 and 635 and you'll find all are great match's with your very good Def Tech's. I would stay away from brighter, thinner receivers like Denon, Yamaha and especially Sony. Onkyo would be ok but not as good as the first three I mentioned. You can say hundreds of dollars if you buy mail order but be careful about warranty and return issues. For typical Elite mail order pricing see dynaco.com. BTW, I work with a guy that has the Def Tech 7000's with the Elite 59. Awesome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us