Component Connections

Username: Adam1680

Post Number: 2
I have been out of the HiFi world for a bit until finally I'm starting to put together my new system.. I have a few questions..

1) What are the best connections for video and audio now? Last I was around, it was S-Video and Optical..

I have 5-conn. component, 3-conn. component, S-video, RCA choices on my TV for video..

Then what about Audio? Is Coax or Optical better?

2) I have a Mitsu 55" widescreen, but I bought it a few years ago and it is only HD-Ready.. It does have the component outs (both 5 and 3 as I mentioned above).. Will progressive scan work for that monitor? Or only if I'm running HD?

Thanks for all your help! I am extremely happy with the HK 525 I picked up, just figuring out how I want to connect all this stuff..

Username: Dave_h

Post Number: 5
From what I have read, Optical connections are still the best for audio and DVI connections are best for video. In decending order (best to worst) the following are what I understand for video connection:
DVI (digital video interface)
Component (with progressive scan)
Component (without progressive scan)
S-Video
Std Coaxial

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response David. I hate to sound ignorant, but I think I'm more confused now.. lol

DVI is the 5 connection component? Is it the same as what Mitsubishi is calling DTV?

How can you tell the difference between component with or without progressive scan?

Lastly, when I'm looking at my receiver, there is no option for 5 connection component, only 3.. So would the "DTV" connection only be for a HD box? Or are there A/V receivers that handle that connection?

Thanks again for any insight..

Post Number: 4
I would edit my post, but it doesn't seem that I can.. I understand now that the "5 connection component" is the output from the TV, and the 3 component connections are inputs. So that answers that question..

So that leaves me still wondering about the progressive scan component and how you can tell if it supports it or not, and what's the difference between DVI and DTV.

Sorry again.. Reading and learning as I'm posting..

Post Number: 7
Adam, DTV and DVI are two different items.

DTV simply stands for Digital TV which is the new digital signals for Digital Standard Definition TVand Digital High Definition TV (as opposed to the traditional analog TV signals that we have been receiving for the last 55 years or so).

DVI (Digital Video Interface) refers to cables and connectors that will easily and directly transfer DTV signals between video components with converting into analog signals (at the sending component) and then back to digital (at the receiving component) as happens with coax, S-video, and component (progressive scan or non progressive scan). Using DVI will allow what ever digital signal that is sent to be received exactly as it was sent resulting in a perfect video assuming perfect video was sent.

several new digital components (DVDs, HDTV Satellite Receivers, etc.) that have come out in the last few months and most of those that will come out in the near future will have DVI connections. I had a Hughes HD DirectTV receiver that did not have a DVI connection and I am now getting a new one that has it. I also just purchased the new Samsung DVD-HD931 (which has DVI connection as well as the old standard connectors) and the video is very good using S-Video connectors but improved very significantly when I switched to DVI connectors. It makes DVDs appear almost as good as true HDTV video - I really cannot tell much difference and If I was looking at it without knowledge of the hookup, I would believe that I was watching HD transmission.

I hope that this is helpful. I am somewhat new in this area myself, but I have been doing lots of research in the last few months.

Post Number: 8
Adam,
Hughes, Samsung, and Sony (and perhaps others now sell HD Satellite receivers with DVI connections. Be sure to check out the specific models as they still have lots of the non-DVD models in stock and would like to get rid of them.

As for A/V Amplifier/Receivers the pickings are now very slim for models with DVI connections. The only one that I could find during my research was the Sony STR-DA9000ES A/V Receiver. It has two DVI inputs and one DVI output. The bad news is that this newly-release model is a super, top-line equipment with a price tag of about $4K (well over my limit). However, within the next few months I would expect other brands to offer A/V receiver/amplifiers with DVI connectors at more reasonable prices.

Post Number: 9
Adam,
As to progressing scan. Progressive Scan essentially doubles the lines on a screen and improves the resolution. This feature is used for Component (3-wire) video hookups to HD equipment. However remember that component connections are advanced analog connections and not true DTV. When used these signals have to be converted back to DTV. On the other hand DVI hookups require no conversions. All signals are direct DTV and and are automatically progressive scanned or interlaced based on that of the originating DTV signal.

Post Number: 5
After I posted the 2nd time, I did some DVI research and realized the difference, thanks for sharing your knowledge in the area.

I understand what Progressive Scan does, but are there some component connections that don't support progressive scan? How can you tell if they do or don't?

To expand on this topic, any cable reccommendations? I am going to buy 2 sets of component cables (1 DVD, 1 TV), 2 optical cables (Tivo box, DVD), and a set of RCA cables for analog DVD. I have used monster in the past, but do you think this makes a HUGE difference? What price range have you guys tend to stick to?

I was looking at Phoenix Gold VRX610CRV and 620CRV for the components. Phoenix Gold makes great car audio, not sure about home stuff.. Any help would be appreciated!

Post Number: 11
From what I know, the only analog conection that can support progressive scan is the component hookup.

If your DVD has progressive scan turned on, it will probably inactivate all other DVD output connections (DVI, Coax, S-Video, etc.).

I assume that all composite connections will support progressive scan if the sending (output) system (such as a DVD) has the progressive scan feature turned on.

When DVI is used as the connection on a DVD the progressive scan switch should be turned off as the DVI will automatically provided progressive scanning if it is in the source (output) video material.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 159
Adam: component cables can get expensive. I just bought a 4M Monster S-VHS for $40 but spent $120 for the 4M Monster Video 3 Component cable (part # MV3CV-4M). I am using a (cheap) cable from the cable company for my HD cable box to the H/K. The 4M cable runs to my projector.

I haven't seen any differences in the cables. I don't know if the Monster THX Ultra 1000 cables are worth it, but I like Monster in general and most of my interconnects are Monster.

I try not to spend more than $100 for any cable, except for my speaker wire with I spent $2.00/ft.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us