Philips cdr785 cdr burner

Unregistered guest
This unit is the one with a 3 cd changer on the left and a single cd burner on the right.It will play cd's fine on the changer side and also plays cd's on the burner side. However, when you put in a blank "digital audio" recordable disc (have tried 4 different brands), 90% of the time, it shows "opc error". Next, if you try to burn a cd, it seems to go through the process until the last 2 minutes. It will stop counting down the burn time. I'll let it sit for 10-15 minutes, but the countdown does not start up again. I then stop the burn, and it will say "open disc, not finalized. I have also noticed that the fan doesn't always turn/come on. Can anyone tell me if there is a common fault for the fan and the burner? Or, does the fan quit if the burner drive fails? I'm running about a 20% chance that the process of burning will actually complete. I've also noticed that the auto burn/finalize feature doesn't finalize the disc, even though it says it has on the screen. Manually finalizing does seem to work. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have had the same problem with my Philips as you have. I haven't been able to find any discs that will work on this unit. I tried Fuji and they did work, but the new batch of discs from them will not. I manually finialize the disc and I don't have the machine do it. I have tried Sony, Fuji, Memorex, and Maxell. The old Maxell discs did work about 98% of the time and I did burn a lot of CD's with those. If you can please e-mail me and tell me if you have any success with discs I would appreciate it. I do feel like throwing this thing out the window, but they don't make CD recorders anymore that I can see.

Post Number: 1
I have borrowed this same unit from a friend because I got tired of the involved process of digitizing my vinyl on a computer. My friend gave me a half dozen Maxell 74 minute discs that have all worked fine. She also gave me quite a few Memorex 80 minute discs. The first one worked fine. All the rest get the "opc error" and cannot be used. I went to Best Buy and found that they don't sell 74 minute discs anymore. The salesperson assured me that 80 minute discs would work on any recorder. I did not believe her but thought it was worth a try to buy a different brand. I bought TDK and the first few worked fine. Then one got the same error as before. Next one worked. But now I am having problems getting the player to give me a new cut. I am doing everything manually. I tried over and over again on each cut and could coax it to work, but after all that work, the disc did not finalize properly.

Saw on Amazon, many disgruntled users with similar problems. One guy stated that he found out from Philips that only 74 minute discs should be used. Don't know if he had the same model. Think I will look harder for 74 minute discs.

Daniel B.
Unregistered guest
As per the question about kinds of discs to use in the Phillips stand alone cd burner. Maxell 80 minute C D Rs work 100 percent of the time. Other brands don't. They seem to be fairly readily available at Sam's Club. Before you throw your burners out...try these. It is a suberb deck other than this annoying problem.

brodie
Unregistered guest
I'm having the ame problem with the Philips CDR-870 - the "old" Maxell discs always worked, but the "new" ones don't. The old ones have wavy lines on a gold background, the new ones have a picture of some sheet music and say "700mb" on them; the old ones do not say what the mb capacity is, just "cdr music for audio recording 80 min." I am trying to get more of the old ones, to verify that they stiil work; if they do I'll post.

Unregistered guest
where would I get a free download of an owners manual for Phillips CDR 785

Blairsville, GA.

http://www.usasupport.philips.com/product
Documents.html?ProductGroup=HOME_AUDIO_VIDEO_GR&
Categorey=CD_PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA&SubCategorey=
CD_RECORDERS_SU&Product=CDR785BK&Submit.x=11&Submit.
y=3&Submit=true

Feelwell
Unregistered guest
For all of you who are having difficulty getting your Philips burner to work there might be an answer. I have had the same problem and have found that Radio shack sells Philips brand music cd-r's. Just bought some more this morning after reading these posts yesterday and the first one I put in the machine initialized just like it should. Good luck.

Unregistered guest
I have a Phillips cdr 785 I lost my manual...how do you get the burner to record 'fast'???? anybody?

Unregistered guest
I have a Philips CDR 785 and cannot get the CD burner to open. The three disk player works OK. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me if this partcular unit- The Philips 785 CD-R will take an input from a turntable to burn and make CD's of my old LP's? Or any other suggestions on this matter before I throw it out the window!

helper
Unregistered guest
Hank H, just unplug/shut off all power to your cdr 785 and it will stop spinning and then once you turn it back on, it will open.

aelling
Unregistered guest
look at www.modchip.it thay have a modchip
then the burner kan burn on a normal cdr / cdrw

aelling
Unregistered guest
http://www.modchip.it/shop/net-shop.asp?lng=EN&px=idcategoria&dx=NCD

Unregistered guest
I am trying to find a copy of the manual for the CDR 785 and can't find it anywhere.

okies ive just got this philips cdr 785 recorder and read loads of posts about cd-r and what the machine will take so far.
i bought some maxell 52x cd-r 80mins ones and they wont copy i also bought tdk cd-r80 and also they wont play ..tryed memeorex action x cd-r wont work

but i did manage to get some tdk xd-rxg for audio pack of 3 from local store and they work fine
but the only draw back when you finish your mix it will play ok on recorder
but they wont play on comp walkman hi fi .. plus for 6.99 for a pack of 3 its a bit steep.. so please any more normal disks does this recorder play ..

Post Number: 2
opps i mean tdk cd-r xg for audio

Unregistered guest
I have a manual for the cdr 785
cg37725@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
I have the Philips CDR-785 and I've had it since the first Model Came Out. It has been a good machine except for a few quirks here and there, but now all of a sudden I am getting a message on the dsiplay that says "Update" whenever I try to burn/copy any disk. I am using some generic Music Blank Recordables that have worked fine in the past. When I called Tech Support, they referred me to an Authorized Repair Center. Basically, the Philips People were not able to provide me with any help at all. I don't even know whay they have a toll free help line when they don's provide any help. I've gotten good use out of my machine up until now, and the player part still works fine, just the burner is screwed, so I'll probably keep it as a player, but I am now in the market for a new CD Burner. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new model (Preferable not Philips)?

Tortfeasor
Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem with the Phillips 785 that everyone else is having; it's very particular about the CD's you use to burn your mixes. I had bought a pack of Maxell 74 minute CDR's a while ago and decided I needed some more. Bought the Maxell 80 min (700mb) discs and can't get them to initialize.

I'm gonna try Sam's Club and see if I can get the Phillip's CDR's, but talk about your monopolies! Looks like Phillips inadvertently made their product work with only their discs. I'm not throwing my burner away, so I guess I'm buying their discs, provided they work!

Tortfeasor
Unregistered guest
Just an update. Followed Feelwell's advice and went and bought the Phillips brand CDR discs thinking that they would work. Wrong! I called Phillips "Customer Support?" line and they wanted to charge me $15 to talk to me b/c it was out of warranty. What a joke.

Their customer service rep told me that it was "probably just the laser going bad" and that it was normal for a piece of equipment that old. He also said that it didn't matter what CD I used b/c it wasn't a problem with it reading the disc, just that my laser was bad. I almost laughed in his face!

I then informed him that I had researched the issue and found out that lots of people have had problems with this model and that there was basically nothing that Phillips could do to fix it. I even asked him about buying a mod-chip to put in it and whether or not Phillips would install it for me. They will not.

So, my next question is: Does anyone know of a place that I can get to install a mod-chip? I really don't want to throw the thing away, but if I can't get it to burn discs, it's just taking up space in my entertainment system.

Hello, I Own A Philips CDR 760, which i have modified using the Modchip mentioned earlier in this thread, it was fairly easy to install, you only needed to solder on a few wires according to the instructions on their site. It is now able to record on computer CDR's, but it seems to me that without a firmware upgrade sooner or later there will no more discs which are compatible. I have used the old Fuji Audio rewritable 74min for a long time (actually till they gave out because of scratches), i also used the maxell CDRWXG 80 minutes, until now the most reliable disc. This recorder uses the 1-4x speed computer CDRW's (the audio version always was 1-2 speed), which means that nowadays the choice even for computer CDR's is quite small, so it it questionable if it is still worthwhile to modify the recorder today. anyway, just to satisfy the curious, i can use standard Maxell CR-R 80 52x, Sony CD-RW 700mb/80min multispeed 1-2-4x, Acer 1-2-4x 650mb/74 min, T'n B 4x max 650mb. I also have tried the TDK 1-4 CDRW's but these seem to be borderline (OCR sometimes fails), same thing with Memorex 700MB/4X CDRW's, some discs work perfectly, others not at all. nowadays the Sony 1-4x CDRW (Orange front/black back package) are the best choice (always keeping in mind that my recorder has been modified)

Texarkana, TX

Sounds like these units are losing their usefullness as recorders. If anyone wants to donate theirs to a good cause, I use them at youth ball parks for announcers to play music with. They work great for that. I'll pay COD freight for anyone wanting to send me theirs. TMoore@TXK.Net

Texarkana, TX

How much did the modchip cost in US money?

I've got a 2000 Phillips 785 which has worked well in the past, but the lasers are going. (I suspect that's the underlying problem for many of you who can't get disks to initialize.) My question is this: WHO IS MAKING CD RECORDERS NOW? I'm in the market for a new unit, preferably with features similar to the 785.

Fayetteville, Arkansas USA

Can anyone help PLEASE!!!!!!! I have had my philips 785 for 4 or 5 years and I love it!! I think I made the mistake of not only using as my recorder recording thousands of cds to cds, tapes to cds, records to cds and even vhs and dvds videos to cds. But I have also used the 3 sided disc player as my nain cd player playing my music on it all the time. Now al of a sudden when I put a disc in any spot on the 3 disc side it says "Insert disc" it doesnt show that there is a disc there at all. I have sprayed canned air in it since this happened and have tried and play a disc cleaner since this has happened with no prevail. I can still use it to turn records to cd and to turn tape to cd but no longer can make my mixed cds that I love making. Can anyone help!!! Is my player on the vurge of being trash? I had a lot of money when I bought it but now being disabled I can not afford another one of these a cheeper solution is desperately needed. Any ideas? ThanXs!

Dear Dox,

Sounds like your situation is very similar to mine. It was not a 'mistake' to use the 3-CD player as your main playback machine; that's what the 785 was designed for. Sounds like you had good use of it, as I did for 4 years. Then the playback side developed the same symptoms you describe -- 'insert disk' when there is a perfectly good CD in the slot -- and now the recording side is making disks that don't reliably play all the way through. I too tried cleaning the lasers etc., to no effect.

I took the unit in to a good repair shop. The technician took it apart and tested it, and said that the playback laser was shot and the recording laser was going. He could replace both of them, but it would run $250-$300 for parts & labor, IF he could get the proper replacement lasers.

Yeah, it's a shame; a very well-designed piece of equipment with a crucial part that's not designed to last. You may have to trash it. Alternatives: (1.) Buy an external CD deck and hook it up as digital input (the owner's manual gives instructions.) If your recording laser is going, that may only buy you another year or so. (2.) The Sony RCD-W500C is a 5-Disc CD Changer / Recorder that's functionally similar to the 785, but appears to be more flimisly made as far as I can tell. Sony is discontinuing the model, but you can still get it online lots of places, for $220 -$299. (3.) They don't make the 785 any more, but have you tried looking for them on eBay? There's a steady trickle of them coming on to eBay, and they generally sell for $80-130 + shipping. Nearly all are used, but some are just barely used, as many original owners find that they really don't want to bother with archiving their analogue music collection or making compilations. And even if it lasts only another 2 years, it'll still be cheaper (per year) than what you paid for a new machine.

I have a Phillips CDR775 (about 5 years old) and I'm having problems recording CDs. I don't know for sure but I suspect it is the CDR discs.

I have been able to record every way the machine allows (disc to disc, turntable to disc, tape to disc, disc to tape).

When burning discs, I am using Memorex Music CD-R (700 mb, 80 minutes). The problem: so far, 1 in 4 or 5 discs work. I keep getting "No Disc" or "OPC Error" messages for most discs I insert.

So far, out of a pack of 50 CDRs, I have been ablt to use 7 and have trashed 24 for errors.

As I said, it appears to be the discs but I'm not sure and I'm not a tech.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

i got a batch of cds like that one time too. out of all the cdrs onkly 5 worked!!!!!!!!! I returned them got the same brand and they all wotrked fine. If you look at the back of the they look kind of rainwish and instead of smooth more of a warped rainbowed mirror look. It is a factory mistake like never went through the last process or left too long or something weird like that,. Hope this helps!

I have an older Phillips CDR 880 CD recorder. I don't know how many other modals will do this but I can use regular CDR computer discs. First I load the machine with an "audio" CDR then once the recorder is ready for the record mode, I slowly pull the drawer open (it opens quite easily)and change the disc to a regular CDR disc. I have had this deck for about six years and have done this hundreds of times. I do have a friend with a modal 880 that he bought about a year after mine and his drawer is locked once you insert a disc and it cannot be pulled open like mine. Is mine a freak?? Is anyone else able to do this?

I have used my Cdr-785 since it came out. I am having the cd-r problem of not reading the newer discs, as many of thesae newer discs, have high recording speeds, such as 52x, etc. The only ones I have ever used were the maxell, Music, Cd-r's, colors, and am having a problem to find them, as Walmart does not have them. If anyone knows of any other brands, please let me know. I have a ton of vinly I am still making into cd's. I called Philips, and the rep, would not tell me that the recorder is incompatible, but it sounds like that. I have given up on Memorex cd-rs, entirelt, as I will be making my 3rd trip back to the store, returning them. I found out the Memorex cdr's do clearly state for Home Cd Recoders, but they will not work, vecause the Speed is too high, such as 40x, 52x. I am at a loss now, and any suggestions as to the brand, and type that will work, would be very beneficial. I do not care at this point, if I need to buy them online and stock up. I prefe Maxell, though,. If anyone had had luck just recently, using the Newer cdr-s that are out, please let me know. Thanks-- Joe from Chicago.. jmurphy301@comcast.net

Henniker, NH US

I have had a Philips CDR 785 for over 4 Years. I worked fine as long as I used 16X CDRs. Any other speed did not work or worked intermittantly. I finally found some CDRs that were advertised as 16X. I ordered a 50 pack. I recored 14 CDRs both analog and CD to CD. Everyone recorded corectly and played back correctly. I bought them from J&R Music World. Their e-mail address is www.JR.com The Telephone number is (800) 221-8180.
The 50 pack cost $9.99 with $7.00 shipping. I ordered 5 more 50 packs @ $9.99ea with $12.20 shipping. I can now continue recording my records. The item code is TDK CDR80CB50 the decription is: TDK 50-PACK CDR MEDI 020356479879 CD-R80TWNCB50. The CDRs are advertised as 16X but the spindle only says: TDK Music CD-R 80min 700MO. the CDRs do work! Rontay

I have philips cdr796 cd player recorder when i switch it on the trays wont open anymore, it says on the screen trays locked. can anybody help me solve this problem or tell me what is a matter with it ? thanks gary

Like so many, if not all, my Philips 765 CD Recorder/Player no longer works with new music cd-r disks like Memorex, Maxcell Sony etc. Following the recommendations posted by Ron Taylor on Nov, 03,2006 I bought the TDK Music cd-r 80min 700mo and they also do not work. Interestingly enough I had a couple of the same TDK disks I bought over a year ago and these worked just fine. I also tried to purchase the philips cd-r's which according to the the Radio Shack web site are only sold at their stores, but these stores, at least in Los Angeles do not have it. Please respond if you have found cd-r's that work on this machine. Thanks

Post Number: 3
First I want to say to the one who asks about his tray not opening. Thsi has happened to mine many times too. It is like the computer freezes uinside. If you unplug it. then wait about 10-15 seconds plug it back in turn it on and then wait for all the messages to go on. Then press the open button it then ill open. It is a pain and mine does it usually when I put a cdr in that muy player doesnt like.

Speaking oif so I know what everyone is saying about finding disc. IO use to buy all kinds of discs that worked and now it is hard to find. But if you look on the outside of all cdrs they say for computer cd writers. Thern about 1 out of every 10 you read they will say in small letters on the front for "computer cd writers and home steo recorders" or somethinglike that. they are the only ones that say something differentt han "for computer cd writers" They are getting harder and harder to find but go from store to store and you can still find them still I promise I do. I bought maxell cdrs the gpold ones with the white waves on them and like every other one will record fine and then the next will have a recording error in the middle of recording. Weiurd!!! Any way I hoep this helps. Last thing my recorder stopped working one day and only the recorder part worked but the three disc side no longer played cds. Incase this happens to anyone DONT THROW IT AWAY!!!!about 1 month later after tryingit over and over and over I put in a cdr that had a error on it and it played all of a sudden and has played fine since. About 100 cds and 6 months later still working. Weird!!!

it still wont open just keeps saying trays locked i have been told it has gone into dealer mode and there is a certain way of pressing keys in certain order to unlock them ??????????. but cant find out the way even from philips they just keep sending me round in circles on the phone. help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks for the info, but the Memorex Music CD-R that I'm about to return states in the package "for home audio recorders etc" but they do not work. I used a few old CD-R music discs from Sony and they work just fine. The disc companies must have added an inscription or other change that results in discs that no longer work with the Philips CDR 785. If someone has found a product that works please advice. I wish Philips was honest enough to let us know what is happening.

Post Number: 5
Ave sorted it out, all i had to do was keep it in stand by mode then hold display button in for a few seconds and the trays unlocked.

I have had both problems. Now I use Sony 80 min CDs and they work ok. When the CDR tray gets stucked, just unplug the current and wait about 1 minute. Then it unlocks.

I have a new problem. Let's see if anyone has expirienced it. When recording from an analog source (a tape deck), everything starts ok. Then about after 20 seconds it just stops on its own and nothing was recorded. I have tried it several times and all the time it does the same thing.

Other functions like CD-CD, CD listen, track listen, etc seem to work ok. RThe only problem is with the analog source.

I have been doing that since the very beginning at it always worked ok. It just started acting up recently. Any ideas?

By coincidence i just tried the Sony CD-R music, the one with the "Walkman logo and sign", and they work fine. Also, Staples has the best price I have found, $24.99 for 50. Probably a good idea to stock up as who knows if the next batch will work.

Anybody know if the "mod chip" is available for the cdr785? In the States? I've got a couple of these units, and I'd like to upgrade them.

And if somebody's got one of these laying around either nonfunctional or just plain dead, I'd be interested in the power switch and it's circuit board.

Maple grove, Mn Usa

My philips cdr 785 will not record lps. It will record from my tape deck, but there seems to be zero input from my phono. no recording levels register like they do from cassettes. I've tried every type of connection, mainly recv (tape) out to cdr analog in, recv (tape) in to cdr analog out, with phono jacks into recv. I press aux to get aux manual, then hit rec type and jog to aux analog. then hit record, and recording stops after 20 secs, (like manual says it will if no source is input). for some reason, the phono is not being p/u as an input source. Anyone know what to do about this? It used to WORK, now does not. PLEASE ADVISE, otherwise my LPs are histor!.

Maple grove, Mn Usa

My philips cdr 785 will not record lps. It will record from my tape deck, but there seems to be zero input from my phono. no recording levels register like they do from cassettes. I've tried every type of connection, mainly recv (tape) out to cdr analog in, recv (tape) in to cdr analog out, with phono jacks into recv. I press aux to get aux manual, then hit rec type and jog to aux analog. then hit record, and recording stops after 20 secs, (like manual says it will if no source is input). for some reason, the phono is not being p/u as an input source. Anyone know what to do about this? It used to WORK, now does not. PLEASE ADVISE, otherwise my LPs are history!

Post Number: 4
Are you running straight from your phono, or through your amp/reciever? If I remember right, my turntable doesn't put out much signal. If you run it through your reciever then use your tape out jacks for the CDR, you may stand a better chance.

In regards to the phono recording problem, I have not experienced that problem yet. I initialize the disc with the Cdr button as usal. Tehgn I hit the button below it, for aux. I turn the record type button until it says aux-manual, and I believe a signal will light up, on the player, saying it analog. Then when the Record button lights up, you should see they sound signal bars moving. Make sure it is not in digital mode. Check and make sure the phono works thru the receiver alone. I can record from a cd even if the reciever is off. I do not know if you can run the phono to the cd recorder by itself. I would presume it may not work, if you run the phono jakcs to the input jacks on the recorder, because I think the signal is recognized as a digital signal, and you need analog.

Good morning, I am having the same problems trying to find the proper Cd-r to record on. I called Philips and here is what they said. The unit is now outdated and cannot be updaqted, However, you can still find cd-r's to record on. They must say: on the label Up to 32x recordng speed. If they say anything higher, it will not work, and if the label says 32x speed only, they will not work. It must say Up TO in order for the disc to work. I found at Walgreens and Office Depot, The Maxell discs that work. They are Gold in color, and there ae musical notes ont the lavel, and they say UP TO 32x recording speed. Phillips said due to changes in technology, thew cdr-785 will not recognize anything higher than a 32x speed, so the lower the speed, the better. Hope this helps. Joe..jmurphy301@comcast.net

For the guy witrh the problem, of no input signal form the phono when trying to record, there is a button on it for Record level, amke sure it is not too low.

Maple grove, Mn Usa

Thanks guys. I have tried all the connections for the cdr 785, and the phono does work thru the receiver, but not thru the cdr. I have the phono jacks IN to the phono inputs on the receiver, with the tape OUT, to analog IN on the cdr, and tape IN, to analog OUT on the cdr. The cassette player also works, and I can record from it, and can get recording levels. I cannot get recording levels to register from the phono, and that's prob why the recorder stops after 20 secs, since it is NOT detecting a signal from the phono. The only adj I can make is to set the rec levels at -db levels. Still, no sound comes from the phono when I get to the record mode on the cdr, from the phono. As prev stated the phono does work otherwise. Any help greatly apprec. I've also hooked the aux OUT on the rec, to analog In on the cdr, and that also works for recording cassettes. Also, this did used to work. Not sure why it no longer does. Thanks

Usa

After much deduction, I think my tape OUT on my recv is not working. If that is the case, how can I record lps with the cdr? Is there another way I can OUTPUT the phono or even radio from this recvr to the cdr, or do I need a diff receiver, i.e is this one dead? I'm not a techno expert, so please help me out. Since I do not need the TAPE OUT, for the tape deck to work, as a last resort, I could tape my lps, then record them onto cd, but that is too much work, and the cd may lose clarity of sound. Maybe I shd just p/u a cheap recvr somewhere to test my theory? Please let me know,. Thanks

Do you only have one output on the reciever? Try a different output. Or if you can record through the tape jacks,you can remove your tape deck and hook your cdr up in it's place.

Usa

Thanks. I did finally get it working. After cking my recvr manual, I found that the inputs were switched on the recvr, i.e out was in, in was out.... once I made the adj, everything worked. It's amazing how one input can ruin your whole setup!. So simple, yet so complicated. Thanks for the info, and the forum everyone.

Hi everybody, please help me too. I ve read the above problems and i have a different kind of error.
My cdr785 recorder tray will not CLOSE. (Not the 3cd changer, but the recorder tray!)
i place a blank cd onto the tray, and i press the close button.
It closes BUT immediately it opens again. no messages. as i would press the open button but i dont touch it.
Anyway: my cdr works fine with any kind of AUDIO cd.
So, please help me i f u can!
Thank You.
Csaba from Hungary

Usa

Post Number: 6
To get your tray to open, you might try to unplug the cdr from the wall outlet, for at least a few minutes, then plug it back in, and see if it opens/closes properly. sometimes the heat from the unit screws it up. try that, because my cdr785 burner tray got "stuck" and would not open at all. then someone told me to unplug the unit for at least a little while, and sure enough, it worked. good luck, bt

Thank you for the answer, i'll try this solution.Csaba

Think Philips will help you fix your burner? I THINK NOT! I'm sorry for all of you who own and are having problems with your philips burners. I too am a vicim of what I call a deceptive trade practice on the part of Philips. Heres my observations: the machines have an average moderate usage life of about 3-5 years. Ironically they begin to fail shortly after the manufacturers warranty expires. The lasers begin to fail and are increasingly subjected to poorer and poorer succesful burns until they are useless. the lasers are exclusively philips maufacturing (so there is no replacement of a laser from another company) expensive; and quite unreliable; especially for a machine costing $420.00 retail. They do not manufacture the burners anymore; nor UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow the consumer the option of a repair or exchange of the product. Neither are they sympathetic. In December 2006 I sent a machine to their consumer repair division assuming like almost every other company ive sent things to; that it would be repaired or at least maybe a phone call or letter indicating the problem and how it ca be resolcved. Much to my disappointment did the machine come back to me 5 weeks later; upside down and slewn in a box with no packaging; and a brief note return to sender; no explanation or anything. What does it take to pull a schematic from a filing cabinet? Geeez; How disrespectful to the consumer! So making numerous calls to what they call their friendly customer support to discover that they were using a stonewalling technique on me by giving me every mom and pop electronics store on the eastern seaboard to call; virtually all who laughed when I called saying they would not touch the recorder with a 10 foot pole!!!! now Im in an endless unresolvable "loophole" Philips won't touch it; no "authorized" philips repair center will fix it. But lest I call them back today; January 26, 2007 asking to speak with supervisors and eventually trying to lodge a more detailed inquiry; all I got was "rude rhetoric" (similar to credit collectors) and (not so) "politely" told to "shove off" yeah they really care; so here I am over $2,000.00 later with 2 of my original 6 burners working; knowing that in NO WAY does philips stand behind its products. Its all about the dollar with them; once they have sold you; they can care less about keeping you as a loyal customer! Consumer; BEWARE for I will NEVER buy another philips product of any kind in my lifetime!!

i have the same problem finding cd-r's that will work in this phillips machine. Does anyone know of any brand cd's that will really work plse help

Post Number: 6
These have to be "audio cd-r"s. Regular data/computer discs won't work. I use either Sony (white label), or Maxell (gold label).

Montgomery, Alabama USA

I Have A CDR785 that has a lot of the problums listed in these messages. It finally got so bad I had to do something about it. Being a x computer repairman, I treated it like the computer it is. It appears that when Philips wrote the onboard rom program that controls all of the functions of the unit, they did a rotten job in the area of error dection and recovery. When the unit has problums on the burner side, it has done crazy things and some times locks up and refuses to do anything. Ihe thing that seems to have corrected all of the problums is a cleaning of the burner , many times, with a cd/dvd cleaner disk. DO NOT try to manually clean the lazer eyes with any thing but a good quality cleaning disk or you may destroy the lazer mount on the posioning slide. It is a very -very fragil device and is easly damaged. Errors on the burner caused by dust on the lazer transmitter or receiver eyes, causus read/write errors and or no disc present and low read errors to the point that some disc or all disc will not initilize,write and read properly, causing CRC errors that the unit can not stand. When it can not recover, it may give strange and maby non-related errors or simplly, lock up. Read errors on the 3 disc side does not seem to cause any thing but bad sound. Writting of disc, is the critical side and seemes to have caused all my problums. WARNING ! If you are cheep like me and try to use q-tips to clean any cd/dvd drive lazer lens, YOU WILL DESTROY IT ! BUY A GOOD CLEANING DISC and use it several times a month and replace it once or twice a year. Oil In THE AIR, from many sources, will collect on the lens and transfer to the brushes on thr disc and result in no cleaning evetually. Use one disc on one unit and never on another unit. That keeps you from transfering problums to other units to another. Hope this helps some of you get your units back in bussiness. The one trying to record directly from a turntable, needs a preamp to boost and bias the signal up. A Home sound system with a phono input, and aux out, will work great. It will also have the proper eq for the phono cartage.

Can anyone give me the modchip number for philips 870 cdr Please email kitchenplan@gmail.com

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 452
I just bought a Phillips CDR 880 CD on AudiogoN and it arrived DOA. Can't get any sign of life.

Gee guys...I have 10 different Philips recorders and none of them ever encountered one of the problems you post here...
And I use them in my studio...
CDR 775,777,785,786,820,822,870,880,570,770...
The ones with a cooler have on the bottom side a temp sensor...that's why the cooler isn't working all the time...
As for the blanks...how can you buy an AUDIO CD RECORDER and expect it to work with PC based CDs?!?!it's hilarious...
I used TDK,Verbatim,Memorex,etc...all AUDIO CDs Only and all worked just fine...
To say more I've never cleaned one of them with a CD lens cleaner...
Guess i'm lucky or know how to use them...
I always loved Philips...

a small update - now i have found Verbatim 1-4 CD-RW 700mb computer discs work fine, the Verbatim Reorder Number is 43123, well as to why i use computer 1-4x CD}'s, simply because they are CHEAPER, i bought ten pieces in jewel cases for 12euros recently in Mediamarkt Freiburg Germany
I only use CD-RW's because i re-edit my LP recordings using some specialised software to reduce hiss, rumble and scratches (like Wave Purity)using my computer. I then reuse them for another LP or Cassette copy
My Philips CDR 760 was the last model which permitted to bypass the Audio-CD lock, (i never liked serial copy managment either)

Hi
I have a Philips cdr 785 with a problem the music wil play normaly for a random period of time but then it shuts off and just restarts. I alsow noticed that the cooling fan does not spin

Anybody know whats wrong

Parker, Colorado USA

My CDR-785 will play through the middle of the second song and than shut down and goes into standby mode. Pushing the Play button will bring it back and it goes through the same routine again. The powersupply gets its shutdown signal from the microproccessor like a timeout.
Phillips is of no help.They refered me to the neerest service center.

Peter

any update on if there are any cdr's on the market that will work with the old phillips burners....having the same problem as everyone else

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 613
I found a used Pionier PDR 609 for only $150 usd and it works with the off the shelf cdr discs, and sounds good. In fact, I am amazed at how good. I am glad to have it over my ex Azure 640c!
Not the answer you want, but a cheap easy and good solution to cd recording.

Username: Terminator803

I have the older philipcdr 785 and seen it suppose to record in love time im guess i suppose to push rec type then jog knob but it keep going to finalized when its pushed and i have a blank cd in there.whats wrong?

Username: Terminator803

live time ooops sorry

Username: Rocknrollroy2010

I have the same problems with my Philips CDR-785 CD recorder. I can say that if you buy the TDK Music CD's found at Office Depot, these discs will work. Also, TDK CD-RW Music CD's, found on www.amazon.com, will also work. I find that other CD brands (Sony, Maxell, Memorex), for whatever reason, do not work like they used to. I have seen the Philips brand at Radio Shack, and I will try them. I have had my CD recorder since 2000 (the BEST $600 I ever spent) and it still performs nicely. For anyone who has problems playing (or recording) discs on this product, it could be that the lens is dirty. A good CD laser lens cleaner should clean your lens. It is worth trying, I have done it and it works well for me.

For recording LP's to discs, always use the AUX ANALOG on your CD recorder. CD-RW's are ideal for recording LP's, and can be erased and re-recorded if an LP you are recording from should skip or sound bad. Once you have that perfect CD of stuff from your LP's, you can finalize the CD-RW and copy it on to a CD-R. The CD-R will be the disc you want to keep.

Finally, do not hook up your turntable directly to your CD recorder. Always hook it up to your receiver.

I have found, overall, that the Philips CDR-785 works the best. I hope that the info I have given you helps you with the ones that you own.

Username: Kragu

BINGO! After trying many different Recordable CD's on my Philips CDR 785, I finally fiigured out that the blank CD speed determines whether or not one can burn a CD on this unit. The Maxell 700 80 minute 32x speed works perfectly! Any speed over 32x does not work. The newer CD's seem to have higher speeds thus the reason why none of them worked on my machine. I hope this helps!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us