I am bidding on a few turntables...please help me out

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 163
As a young new music lover I am iching to buy a TT for my stereo setup. I have came across these 3 TT:
Thorens TD 165
REGA RESEARCH PLANAR 3 TURNTABLE
DUAL 1209

So I was woundering what ones would be more appericated from a young'n like myself. I do like German made electronics such as NAD. But from a sound quality stand point which ones would you say would give me excellant quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Scout

Post Number: 29
The Rega P3 should top that list. I just went through this, what are you using for a phono stage and cartridge.

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 164
Well now the Rega and the Dual have gone over my budget so the Thorens TD 165 is the only table left from the three. Right now its at 56 bucks with 16 hours left on it so hopefully you could respond within that period. Right now it has a Shure catridge does not say the model. For right now I will be using a Yamaha reciever until I get a NAD stereo pre.

So should I let this table go or continue bidding? That Rega P3 is at $137 right now, little bit too much for my first table.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
From my understanding it would be fine as a first table, it should certainly help you catch the bug.
So your yamaha has a phono stage? Which NAD, the PP2? Stereophile gave it a good review in September.

Good Luck!

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 166
The yamaha has a phono funtion input. The preamp I'm looking at is the NAD C162
and I beleave it has the phono input. BTW what is the difference between phone input and phone stage. Maybe I should reread that stereophile issue. Is the PP2 around $200?

Well thanks for your help and time.

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 167
Speaking of PP2s I just found one on ebay for $130. If I buy this, could I hook it up directly to my NAD C270?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I don't believe you can do that, I think you would need to run it through your preamp or you would be full out.

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 168
...Thats right. Speaking of phone stages what is the difference of MM and MC

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
MM is moving magnet, it is traditionally lower quality but more durable with a higher amplification of the signal with more noise and less detail. MC is moving coil, the opposite of all of the above. The real question is, How much do you need to spend on MC before you get better quality then say a Grado Gold.

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 173
I have won a Ariston Q-deck belt driven turntable off of ebay and should arrive within a week. Now I'm looking at that PP2. Should I go with the 1 amp power supply for a grand total of 181 dollars? I think its a good deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us