Denon AVR-884 vs. Yamaha HTR?

Username: Krackerjack

Post Number: 1
Hello, I'm new to A/V world and am a little lost. My trusty old Sony stereo recently bit the dust and now I'm looking to buy a new system. I've been shopping but find myself lost in the maze. I have spent considerable time looking at my budget and I think the most I could afford to spend on a home theater system is between $900-$1,000. I am mainly looking for something that can play 50% music and 50% movies. My room is about 11x17x12 feet high. I listen to all types of music from classical, jazz, hi-hop, reggae, rock, etc, etc.

I went on-line and checked seeeeveral places and have found a package that looks interesting. It is a Denon AVR-884 receiver with a Denon 1815 DVD, JBL SCS 160 si 7 speaker system with floor stands and all of the monster cable I need to connect it all up (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=3 04386&is=REG). When I went in to check it out, the sales person told me that he would actually recommend switching the receiver for a Yamaha HTR 5660 and would do it a no additional charge.

Not knowing much about the a/v world, I'm not sure what to do. Is this a good system? Is this a good deal? If this is a good set up and good deal, which receiver should I get? Denon (http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=2&c=13)? or Yamaha (http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010HTR-5660)? I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks!!

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
Well Max those are some great choices, especially the Yamaha. But if i were you, I would try to get the Onkyo Home Theater in a Box for $499. It comes with a 6.1 high current receiver, six speakers and a powered 8" sub. I would try that before your other choices. I do like how the onkyo's sound with both music and movies. even though i like yamaha's trademark bright, detailed and accurate sound, i still think that onkyo is a great alt. to yamaha.

Username: Stereo55

Post Number: 1
Just a suggestion .... take a look at Vanns.com (authorized dealer if factory warraty is important).
Vanns is having some nice sales at the moment on AV recievers . I picked up the HTR-5660 for a good sale price ($330/delivered) to be used in a small bedroom primaraly "only" for DVD movies with 5.1/6.1 .
It was a toss up between the Harmon Kardon AVR-230 and the Yamaha HTR-5660 .
I chose the 5660 due to Yamaha's xint rep for soundfield reproduction .
The AVR-230 did sound quite xint for music , but I never had the chance to experiance it with any DVD movies .

Check out Vanns and see if anything catches your eye . Some sales end 1/10/04 .

Best of luck ....

Username: Stereo55

Post Number: 4
*update* ....

Having second thoughts about the HTR-5660 (still in shipping process). The more I read the , the more the AVR-320 is looking ALOT better ( much better amp) .

*thats what I get for lisening to a family member who is a hard Yamaha fan .
I should know better as I have always used better amps/seperates than Yamaha*

Username: Krackerjack

Post Number: 3
Jeff and Stereo55,

Thanks for your info! I sent both of you e-mails but not sure you got them. It's funny that you both mentioned Harman Kardon. I have recently started to look at the H/K AVR230. The sound is amazing and it looks cool.

Jeff...thanks for the info about vanns. I went to their site and enjoyed it. I did find the h/k for cheaper here in NYC at etronics.com as well as bhphotovideo.com. The advantage of vann's though is that there is no shipping or tax. Do you know if they price match? That would make the sale.

Stereo55...is the 320 a current model? You are talking about H/K right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us