Yamaha RX-V496 cuts out

Username: Steltz02

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, I am in quite a predicament and I am glad that I have found this forum. I recently purchaced a Yamaha RX-V496 from ebay for around $150 dollars. It is a used receiver, but was promised by a reputable ebay seller to be in excellent working condition. I received the receiver and it looked in great cosmetic condition. I hooked up the KLH towers that I had purchased seperately (20-250 Watts). When I turn the volume knob on the receiver past about 1/4 of the way the receiver cuts off, i guess this is called protection mode. I am wondering if my speakers just dont match my receiver (speakers need too much power that the amp can't provide) or if there is a problem with my receiver.
Thank you very much for your input. The company that I purchased this receiver from on Ebay says that I have 7 more days to decide if I want to return the receiver for reparation or exachange or if I want to keep the receiver.
Thank you

Post Number: 2
I put a different set of speakers on there. 150 Watt Pioneer towers. The sound is Much MUCH better. I cant push them as hard as I want to because they are older, but does this make sense that they are not cutting out at the same low volumes as the KLH's were?
Thanks again

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 146
What's the impedance (nominal) on the KLHs? Maybe the system is going into protection because of an impedance problem.

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 62
Sounds like a short to me. Maybe some wires must be touching.

Does it shut off with the Pioneers?

Post Number: 4
I have purchased new speaker wire. Also I have made sure several times that the speakers are hooked up right.
When I put the pioneers on, it turns up at least half way (the speakers are screaming) and they still dont shut off. My friend wont let me push them any harder than that, because they are old and they are his.
The impedance of the KLH's are 8 ohm and that is what I have the receiver set on.

Post Number: 63
Try one KLH speaker at a time. If the receiver shuts off with one speaker and not the other, then it is a problem with one of the speakers.

I can't see both speakers being bad. If one of the speakers works fine and the other doesn't, then it is probably a crossover or bad wiring.

Can you still take the speakers back to the store?

Post Number: 5
I bought the speakers off of ebay as well :-(.

I have tried one speaker at a time, still shuts off around the same level.
The pioneers allow me to turn the volume way up with a great sound and still dont cut off.
If I am understanding correctly, my KLH's are not sensitive enough for my amp. I need some speakers with max wattage around 100 or 150 watts and this should fix my problems?
The 250watt KLH's are just too much ??

Post Number: 6
Notice I pose everything in the form of a question :-)
Thanks again

Post Number: 65
STOP MAN!!! hehehehehe The wattage on your speakers is not all that important.

I have driven all kinds of speakers on my 75watt Yamaha and it NEVER shut off on me. I hooked up 4ohm car speakers, car subs, 200+watt home speakers, speakers I built. It worked PERFECTLY!!!

Get rid of the KLHs ASAP. I really don't think it is the receiver but I am not there. I don't know how loud you are trying to get these speakers.

Post Number: 8
So there is probally something wrong with the KLH's? I bought them used from someone off ebay, and I am getting the feeling that something is short circuited inside of them. The 3" speaker on one of the towers had been replaced with a different speaker. It looks like I got the raw end of this deal.

Unregistered guest
You're right Matt it is definitely going into protect mode. Check to see how hot the recievers getting when it's running the pioneers (if you still have them)and the klh's.

Post Number: 9
Chubby, it doesnt take any time for the receiver to cut off when I have the KLH's hooked up (not overheating). As soon as I turn the music up loud it cuts off with the KLH's. The pioneers are able to hold very high volumes and the receiver stay cool without any problems.

Unregistered guest
It's definetly the klh's if it happens as soon as U turn it up, there's nothin' wrong with your reciever the recievers going into protect mode to stop from damaging itself. One more thing this will tell U for sure Does it seem like when U're attempting to get more volume from the klh's there about half as loud as the pioneers.

Post Number: 11
Yes the pioneers are twice as loud when the volume is turned to the same place on the receiver, and the highs are sooo much more clear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us