Converting Car audio to home audio


Unregistered guest
I have two 12" Alpine S-type subwoofers in a custom prefab box, as well a mono 350 Watt amp, and a stiffening capacitor. I was wondering does anyone know how to wire this so I can plug it into the wall(to provide power) and then hook this up to my existing stereo (that part seems simple- I think). I have the knowlege more or less to install a car stereo but I want to convert this to home as I no longer want the car audio but I love the sound of the system-plus I don't have the room in the car anymore(married&Family)

Unregistered guest
they generally doesnot sound good as they are designed for listening in a small room and lot's of background noise

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 56
Registered: May-05
connecting it to your stereo is a simple matter of RCA connections, but to power the amp, you would need to buy a dc power supply like a computer power supply or something like this:

I have no idea if it works but it was something that I was considering doing. I have a really nice amp and sub that would cost thousands more, (i'd guess) if I had bought it with prefabricated enclosure for home theatre purposes.

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Post Number: 14
Registered: Aug-05
ive done it with 2 8 inch kickers but bought a plate amp sounded good it shakes my friends apartment

New member
Username: Djtjjuno

Post Number: 1
Registered: May-08
For all the people who tell you "you can't do it"... Don't listen.... People told me that also. They said, 1.) It can't be done. Or 2.) That if I did manage to do it, it would cost something outrageous by having to buy multiple batteries, or making a fume-hood for car batteries and having to buy circut boards..w.e.. But the truth is, I did do it, and it was actually really inexpensive.

so for all that want to know how I went about it.. here we go.

All I did was buy a Tripp-Lite (Pr-7b) Bench Top Regulated Power Supply 7amp (peak power)-5amp (continuous) that converted the 110v from the wall to 12v for my amp. This whole thing only cost me $56.00! I think it's cheaper over the internet if you can find one. They have other more powerful ones; the next step up being 10 amps, and it would have cost $130.00

So we at this point have our amp (mine being a 500w), our subs/ other speakers (In my case two 12" CompVR Kickers and pioneer tweeters) and the power supply. I started by having 3 wires run from the amp, +12v, GND, REM. I put the other ends of both the REM and +12v to the hot or positve place on the power supply. Then simply put the GND to the negative side of the power supply and that gave the amp the 12v power it needed to work.

and from that point I wired up my speakers to their desengnated places on the amp, and their I was; bumpin' to some of my favorite tunes.

Bronze Member
Username: Zorin

Post Number: 12
Registered: Apr-08
make some enclosures for your component speakers and get a 30amp dc regulated pwr supply and that should be all you need. please be sure and check the current requirment of the amp system and also check the CONSTANT amperage of the pwr supply, some companies have a habit of quoting peak amps which is just for a second. if the amp exceeds the constant figure, the pwr supply can blow a fuse/trip out or maybe just do damage to itself.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan


Post Number: 245
Registered: Oct-07
5 amps at 12 volts is only 60 watts.
At typical A/B amp efficiencies, this will yield 35 watts to the speaker. Class 'd' would still be only 50+.

Best bet, if you GOTTA do this is to find a cheapo plate least it runs off of wall power.

For the same 130$, you can get a reasonable enough plate amp just to see if it works as you wish/hope.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us