Harman Kardon receiver problem

Anonymous

Question from a lay person. I have an HK AVR 5550 which I bought in Europe as front speakers I had Infinity (6 ohm)plugged in the receiver without no problem and great sound quality. I have just moved to latin america (110W)and have started using the receiver with a tailor made step up converter.
The receiver is now heating up too much in my opinion and the fan is not working. I don't know if the fan works only when there is over heat or if there is a problem with the system. On top of it I could not find any good technical support in this country.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 224
My h/k avr-325 receiver turns the fan on when the output voltage is high (i.e. driving near 0 dB on the volume dial) and not if it gets hot. I can have no speakers plugged-in, turn up the volume dial and the fan will turn on. Since I rarely go above -10dB on the volume dial, the fan never comes on. The receiver is always very warm, but I wouldn't say hot.

aas
Unregistered guest
Thanks Peter. I tried as you said to have the output voltage high (speakers unpluged) but still the fan didn't turn on. I have never noticed that such receivers could get so hot. It is a pitty also that it is impossible to get HK technical support over the net. All my questions were not answered. I would appreciate any other ideas...

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 239
Sorry... I don't know why it was fine before and now it's differnt. 50 vs 60 Hz?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us