Dump Speakers or Receiver?Second Attempt

Username: Mandomichael

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 5
I have large Cerwin Vega Vs Series speakers that were sold to me with a Sony STRDE-925 receiver that it keeps burning up the amps on. The receiver has a 4/8 switch which I've used in the 4 position. The unit sounds good in stereo and surround (with Advent center and rear) and no sub. Would a sub help keep the load off the main amps? Is there a surround capable receiver for less than $500 or so that I could buy that would sound good or should I get a stereo receiver and a surround processor? How much would the speakers be worth to sell or trade? I am pretty much broke right now so money is an issue. I'm laid up waiting for surgery. Still need my music! I've tried this post numerous times in "receivers" but never can reply or get any replies. I did get one in my email, but it says not to reply. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. It shows that I have replied to the one response that I got, but doesn't show up when I click on it. Where am I screwing up? ARRGH!!!

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 554
Are the speakers 4 ohm?
They might be 8 ohm in which case you should use the 8 setting on the sony.

I would get something like this off ebay - will give you better sound than the sony.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280%26item%3D5728963488% 26

Username: Crescendopower

Post Number: 1
Just because a speaker is rated at a nominal 8 ohms doesn't mean it will not drop down into lower impedances. You need a real integrated amplifier.

NAD C-370 Integrated Amplifier

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1102003784

It wouldn't hurt to ask him if he would ship it to you for $400.00. Good luck!

Post Number: 2
If you want surround sound you may want to find a cheaper Dolby Digital surround sound receiver with pre-outs, and a NAD C-270 stereo power amp to drive the big Cerwin Vegas. Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Stuermer

Post Number: 17
as i recall, most big CV's are very efficient speakers (a'la klipsch, high 90's dB/w/m) and shouldnt require high power to create enormous sound. i also recall they are mostly 8ohm (nominal) speakers.
so either you are playing these at obscene volumes or you have shorts in the crossovers (or your power supply is TERRIBLE).

a sub with the right receiver would pull LFE off the main speakers but is probably not the issue (unles you are doing behaviour 1 above)

if you are looking for a really good inexpensive receiver, see if you can find a used outlaw 1050. was $499 but now discontinued. they will be launching a new one soon to replace it, and supposedly it will have digital video switching (DVI)! no idea how much $ though.

Username: Mandomichael

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 8
The Cerwin-Vega speakers are 4 ohm. I will look into the suggestions you have given here. Thanks for all the replies. I assume that if I get a cheaper surround receiver with pre-outs that I can run those to the NAD and use it in combo when using surround. Thanks again for all your help. I changed to Mozilla browser and now see my own posts online.

Post Number: 3
"I assume that if I get a cheaper surround receiver with pre-outs that I can run those to the NAD and use it in combo when using surround."

Yes, you can.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us