Pioneer 563a vs 578a

dloweman
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a new dvd player and these two both play sacd and dvda. The question is why is the 563 more expensive (and supposedly better)than the newer 578? according to the pioneer site the only difference is that the 578 has a better video decoder. Any opinions on these 2 products? Any other suggestions since my current sony dvd player sucks? Has the bass crossover been fixed in the newer 578 cause in the 563 for dvda the crossover was fixed at 200hz? Thanks
Derek

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 242
It seems DV-563A had decent audio DACs and did "true DSD" processing (some setups only).

Cheers
AL

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 143
Right, I believe if all speakers were set to "large" the DV-563A did "true DSD" processing. However, I've seen quite a few posts that claim there's no audible difference in SACD playback between the two. I have a DVV-578a myself and am quite impressed with the DVD-A, SACD and even CD playback. It does have a disclaimer on the package though, something like "not all DVD-A disks may play..."

The video is supposed to be better on the DV-578a although I don't have an HDTV so I can't comment on that either.

Sorry, I don't know what the crossover is for the 578a, it's not mentioned in the manual. Other than the suggestion to set speakers to small if the speaker cone in less than 12cm (about 4.75"). I have all my speakers set to large and sub on.

I think the remotes are identical between the two units.

Bronze Member
Username: Jliverpool

Post Number: 16
Have you had any problems playing DVD-A on your 578?

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 144
John,

Not yet ;) Although, I only have Neil Young - Harvest on DVD-A. I've seen a few posts of Neil Young - Greendale not playing on this player. You're screwed though if you buy a DVD-A that doesn't play because you likely can't return it since it's opened.

I prefer to buy SACD hybrids if possible, that way I can play them in my car and download them to my wife's portable mp3 player.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 246
I believe the Greendale syndrome on DV-563A was a firmware issue, and that Pioneer provided a new version. Could be the same for the new player?

Cheers
AL

Username: Aurora_sandman

Post Number: 6
John,

I've had a problem playing DVD-A on my 578 in that it appears the firmware bass managment settings are ignored in DVD-A mode. I don't know if the same is true for SACD -- I don't have an SACD to try it.

This is really a show stopper unless someone has a system will all full size speakers and a sub.

Anonymous

I thought I purchased the right to listen to neil young harvest music in my car or on my mp3 player but all i can do is play it on my Dvd player

Bronze Member
Username: Aurora_sandman

Post Number: 42
AN UPDATE:

On the 578, if you set all the speakers to small on the player's setup menu, bass mangement will be turned on.

filmosound
Unregistered guest
I went through a few DV-578's built from last April 2004 to July 2004, and none of them would play Neil Young's Greendale in the DVD-Audio mode. It played back on some other players I tried such as Yamaha and Panasonic. Regarding the firmware update for the older 563 model, I'm not sure if anyone confirmed it would play the Greendale disc in DVD-Audio mode.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 458
My 563A, with the 1.906 firmware, plays Greendale without a problem. I can't verify it played with the earlier firmware version since I got the Neil Young DVD-A disc after updating the firmware.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us