Outlaw 770 or Sherwood A-965

Username: Musicmorepower

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 1
Between the Outlaw 770 and the Sherwood A-965 which would best for the MMG maggies? And should I use my Yamaha RX-V2400 as my Preamp or would the Outlaw Preamp be the way to go?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 673
1) I think the Outlaw is a much better amp than Sherwood for the MMGs. Much more real power (Maggies need serious power) and it is a warmer amp, which also works better with the Maggies.

2) You can certainly use your Yamaha as your pre/pro, but I am partial to the Outlaw pre/pro. I happen to believe its Cirrus Logic DSP is superior to Yamaha's proprietary DSP used in the RX-2400.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1760
I am an Outlaw fan so my vote goes towards the Outlaw separates to drive those delicious sounding Maggies. Better power supplies and stability when driving the power hungry magnepans.

Bronze Member
Username: Stuermer

Post Number: 18
outlaw is hands down the value leader in components.
you may want to delay and take a look at their upcoming line though, they appear to be preparing a 790 model that will be 7x300w (rather than 200) and will have XLR capabilities(!)

From their newsletter:
· Expanding our amplifier offerings, the Model 790 Power Amplifier will capitalize on unique and innovative circuit topology to deliver 300 watts per channel with all seven channels driven. Designed for those who want the ultimate in power and performance, the Model 790 will also feature balanced inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us