HT for a room of size 10'x11'

Username: Evans

Sunnyvale, CA US

Post Number: 1
Before I plunge full force I need advice on setting up a HT for room of size 10'x11' which has a built-in cabinet. Does the following setup make sense or is it too much for a room of this size.

Yamaha RX-V2400.
Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver series.

Since the sofa is going to be placed against the wall do rear speakers make sense?

Can someone with a similar roo size share their experience/setup with me?

Thanks a bunch.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 750
Have you heard the Yamaha and the MA's together? I have a MA Silver system and while the 2400 is a vast improvement over previous models I don't think it is anywhere near as good a match as several other receivers. The 2400 has been replaced by the 2500 so if you do decide on it you should be getting it for a couple hundred or so off regular price even at a retailer. Paradigm would be a better match with the Yamaha while Marantz, Pioneer Elite and H/K would be better with the the MA's. Since your room is so small I do not think it necessary nor do you have the room for floorstanders so I would say my exact MA system would be perfect. I have the Silver 2 for mains, the Silver center[great center] and the Silver 1 for surrounds and a Def Tech PF12 sub. This and my Elite 45 receiver make a great combination for my 14x14 room. Look at the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40 for fronts and even the Paradigm Monitor series like the Monitor 5 and the mini-monitors would be very nice with the Yamaha.

Sunnyvale, CA US

Post Number: 2
I must admit my ignorence here. I got a demo at
the local goodguys with this combo. I also got
a demo with a marantz SR8400 but with B&W speakers. I liked the former. May be the MA's sound better with the marantz. It's a little pricey though.

Do you have any rear speakers in you HT setup?

Thanks a bunch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
Allan,
The Marantz would be a much better match with the MA's and I agree they are better than B&W. In a room like yours you certainly don't need a Marantz 8400, in fact the Marantz 5400 would do very nicely. I don't know what your needs are as far as inputs, second room capability etc but the 5400 is a very affordable receiver with tons of multichannel power and matches perfectly with MA as does Elite. This is the time of year that models change over and Marantz has new models coming out soon like Yamaha and they will be 5500,6500, 7500 and 8500. Should be good prices on all closeouts and I don't know for sure what if any new features the new Marantz line will have. From what you say about your demo at Good Guys I assume they have the Yamaha/MA setup as a system and the same with Marantz/B&W. If so that is backward. The better pairing would be Marantz/MA and Yamaha/B&W. One thing I should mention about MA is that they mellow out a bit after the break in period which is about 50-60 hours. You say that you liked the Yamaha/MA system better so tell me your impressions in a bit more detail if you don't mind. Did it sound bright? Harsh? Thin? Or pretty good? I'd be interested in another opinion. I hope you used your own source material for your demos, by the way.

Sunnyvale, CA US

Post Number: 3
therealelitefan,
Thanks for your advice. I did not take my own
material for the demo. I haven't decided on any system yet. I think I should get a demo of the
Marantz with MA speakers. I'll have to find someone who carries this combo in the bay area. I'll definitely take my material as you suggest.

My music/movie ratio is about 50/50. I have a second zone that leads to the family room or may
have it out doors.

What other models should I try out for the speakers apart from MAs? Assume that I go for the
Marantz 7400/8400. I see that you're an Elite :-).

I appreciate all your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
Allan,
Since you are in the Bay area you should lots to choose from. I unfortunatly live in an area of very limited choices and MA and Paradigm are my favorites. I would add Def Tech and the Polk LSi and Rti series and PSB to the list of good speakers in my area. Generally speaking with Marantz you want a speaker that is a bit more lively than Paradigm or PSB and MA fits that description without being overly harsh like IMO Klipsch. I would just say listen to as much as you can and take your own material with you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us