4Ohm fronts w Onkyo 701/Yam 2400

Username: Iamcanadian

Post Number: 5
I have listened to an Onkyo tx-sr701, the Yamaha RXV2400, and like both with PSB's ( I didn't think I would like the Yammie, but after hearing it, it does sound good). I have also heard a few NAD receivers with the PSB's, which sound very clean and excellent, but because of problems that have been posted over the net, I am wary of purchasing one, so I am sticking with the other two for now.
Here is my question. The amp I will buy will have to push 4ohm fronts, and 6ohm surrounds, and I am worried aobut the power of the units. Both dealers smatter on how they both have enough power to drive the PSB's for long time (and of course they would say that). What I heard sounded loud enough, but it IS in their listening enviro. and am always wary about the transition to my place. Neither dealers have an appealing "try it out at home policy" so I have to ask you all if either receiver will have problems with long running movies driving 4ohm loads in the front? Will there be overheating problems? That kind of stuff. Any light you can shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Username: Iamcanadian

Post Number: 6
My fronts are PSB Stratus Bronze's with an Anechoic Chamber sensitivity of 90dB and at 92dB for a typical listening room, with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.
The rears are PSB Century 300i's with an Anechoic Chamber sensitivity of 89dB and at 91dB for a typical listening room, with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms.
The center is a PSB Stratus C6i with an Anechoic Chamber sensitivity of 91dB and at 93dB for a typical listening room, with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms.
I cannot predict the size of the room they will eventually be in as I am looking to move into a house, but am currently in an apartment. But I have worked in consrtuction for a number of years and can predict that the future room it will be in will have hard wood floors and 12 ft ceilings and be of a medium size. Thats as specific as I can be I am afraid.
The Onkyo has a Dynamic Power rating that goes down to 3 ohms, but you all know about paper stats. Out of all this I am a bit put off by both the Onkyo and Yammie dealer for not being more "expert" with their knowledge of their products, but hey, thats what you guys are for.

sarandon
Unregistered guest
well since you state that you have 4 and 6 ohm speakers, than I would go for the Onkyo. I do know for a fact that the yamaha's can push the 4 ohms, but i do not know about both 4 and 6 ohms. also try the marantz sr-7400.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us