NAD T742 video section....

Anonymous

I am just wondering if the video portion of my receiver should be used for connection to my TV. I only have a VCR (only RCA) and a DVD player, so one S-video or even component on my TV is enough. It's just I don't know if by putting video signals through the receiver would results in better quality; and if not, why do receivers bother to make video connections at all?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 440
Anon,

Actually, it is just the opposite. Running your video through the receiver actually degrades the quality. If at all possible, it is always better to run straight to the TV, bypassing the receiver for video entirely. They receivers make video connections for those who have a TV with not enough inputs. Say for example your TV only had one s-video input but you had two devices that you wanted to use s-video on...then you could run it through the receiver and use the receiver kind of like a switcher.

Anonymous

Thanks Johnny for answering my quesiton! I will just run my video directly to TV then.

Anonymous

Johnny, one more question for you:

Do all receivers "up-converts" video signals they get?

What I mean is for example, if VCR is connect to the receiver through composites, then the receiver is connect through the S-video to the TV, will the picture quality change comparing the two ways?

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 442
Anon,

No, all receivers do not do this. It will just depend on the model you are looking at. As I do not use my T762 for video, unfortunately I am not very familiar with the capabilities of the NAD.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 111
Different folks want different things. One reason to connect the video from the receiver to the TV though is if the receiver has an On Screen Display (OSD) and you want to use it. If so, you need a connection and I think it has to be S video.

Anonymous

Thanks Johnny. I suppose I could try it to find out if I see a difference or not; but then I'd have to get a S-Video cable which is $20 (Acoustic Research) at BestBuy.....

James

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 443
Jonathan,

I think that depends on brand/model also. I know on my NAD, the OSD is carried via either the composite or s-video output...but NOT through the component.

Anon,

Save the packaging and receipt and take the cable back if you don't see a difference. Best Buy takes just about anything back I think, provided you have a receipt. Tell them you received it as a gift and that it doesn't work right on your system or some other BS like that...they won't hesitate to take it back.

Anonymous

Great suggestion, Johnny. Thanks to the both of you.

James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us