B&W DM603 S2 need new audio components

Steve764
Unregistered guest
My CD player just died on me. So I figured it's time for some new stuff. :-)

Living room is finally all set to accept a decent dedicated audio system (100% audio, no HT).

Room size: 12 x 19 ft
Speakers: B&W 603 S2

I was contemplating the following choices:

Choice no.1 (no frills, cost conscious)
NAD C740 Receiver
NAD C521BEE CD Player

Choice no.2 (mid-life crisis remedy)
NAD C352 Integrated Amplifier
NAD C542 CD Player
NAD C422 Tuner

So you have an idea of my budget pre-negotiated with my wife :-)

Which one should I go for considering the speakers I already have? Any other suggestions are welcomed re. manufacturers.

Oh BTW are they any online NAD dealers in Canada?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 832
Choice No.2

The best you can afford will always appease your satisfaction level, but even choice No.1 would be fine. Keep in mind, if there is any future possiblity of moving and finding you have a larger listening room.

Cheers

Steve764
Unregistered guest
Other questions regarding matching an integrated amplifier to my B&W DM603 S2:

1/ Is it possible that the NAD C372 be 'too powerful' for these 'modest' speakers?

2/ Could I damage my speakers if I crank up the volume (lets say in a party not during listening)?

3/ Am I wasting money? Should I instead choose the NAD C352?

Steve764
Unregistered guest
Aother question re. the NAD C372:

This amplifier is equipped wih A/B speaker outputs. I was planning to use B&W DM600 S3 or DM303 as the B set of speakers in my kitchen. Again, can the amplifier be too powerful for those speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 831
No it's not too powerfull. It's much easier to break a speaker with too little than too much power. Too little power causes distortion which will break the tweeters. With clean power there is no problems.

I dont know the price of C372, but here in Finland you can have a C352 and a C320bee with the same price. The soundquality difference between 352 and 372 is close to unnoticeable.

Username: Mac_barcelona

Post Number: 1
Hello Steve,

Have you considered the Rotel Kit, RA-02 and RCD-02? I have that kit with your speakers and I am more than happy.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 833
I would have to say that the RA-02 is much weaker than the C352/C372. It's good for nice bookshelf speakers, but with 603S3 I would get something stronger.

Post Number: 2
Hi Landroval,

What do you mean by "weaker"?. It sounds louder than more powerful rated amps I had before. I think that the Rotel matches very good with the Bowers because it makes a transparent and bassy kit, which I enjoy very much listening to my jazz and acid jazz cds. I have heard the Nad and It is OK, but it lacks the Rotel tight bass.

Post Number: 3
If you don't really need the tuner, then I would go for the preamp and power amp by the same Rotel 02 series. It is something I would do if I was going to buy my kit again.

Steve764
Unregistered guest
Thank you all for your input.

I did some listening sessions this week. I was really pleased with the NAD equipment. For me it will be quite an upgrade going up from my puny Denon DRA-25 receiver and Sony CDP-C5F CD player.

At least enough to satisfy my "amateur" ears and budget. Ah I'm glad the kids are growing up. I can spend more time listening music.

So I finally opted for some "umph" with the following:

-NAD C372 Integrated Amplifier
-NAD C542 CD player
-NAD C422 Tuner

I think they should complement my B&W DM603 S2 nicely.

I'll have to wait until next Tuesday to hook it all up. I'll report later.

:-) :-)

Post Number: 4
Congratulations Steve!! Good choice for your Bowers.

Steve764
Unregistered guest
Today is Christmas day for me and my ears.

I finally got my NAD components.

Ah, the sweet smell of cardboard, powder paint on metal, flux on PCB and polyethylene bag. The joy of reading owner's manuals. The fervor of setting up the equipment. I can't wait to feel the gentle warmth generated by the amplifier, to see those lovely blue digits on the tuner and cd player. And finally to hear the first notes played by this marvelous ensemble.

What will it play first? Ah, decision, decision.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us