Newbie Q: JVC or Yamaha?

Username: Omdata

Athens, GA USA

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I'm looking to get an entry-level receiver to step into the wide world of 5.1 (finally). I'm on a teeny-tiny budget (no more than $200 for the unit). I live in a small apartment (living room is probably 18'x10' with 9' ceilings. My front channels are Polk RTi4 bookshelves, and my surrounds are ancient Pioneers. I'm using an old Optimus 3-way as a makeshift center.

I've found what look to be a couple contenders in my limited price range:

the JVC RX-6040B
and
the Yamaha HTR-5730

I'm more concerned with quality than features. The JVC goes for around $20 cheaper but seems more feature-rich. I'd be using it about 60/40 music/movies.

At this price range, would there be a significant difference between the two? Would one be warmer/richer than the other?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 234
Matt...$200 really reduces your chances on a good receiver. Can you wait and gather up $300, if so much better options? If not, I would consider this receiver

http://www.mydigitaluniverse.com/Show.asp?PID=2392

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
you could pick up a factory re-conditioned Harman Kardon AVR130 on ebay direct from the manufacturer for roughly what you are trying spend

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39794%26item%3D5725266057 %26

Athens, GA USA

Post Number: 2
Not sure. I'm looking at getting $200 in Christmas cash. My cable budget is already up to around $60 (an optical connect for my PS2 and a Sub connect) with a new receiver. A friend was kind enough to "donate" me his old Sony Sub when he went audiophile.

If I went with the Pioneer, I guess I could use an old midrange for 6.1 (do they have a "5.1 mode"?). It might be possible to scrape up the extra cash. Is there really that much difference between a $200 and $300 receiver? What is there in the $300 range?

Thanks for your help,
-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 810
I believe Onkyo SR501 or SR502 can be had for under $200. They're far superior to JVC or Yamaha, and I would say slightly better than AVR130.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
You wouldn't necessarily have to take advantage of the 6.1, the 6.1 just means that it has that capability but will perfom 5.1 and lower.

I think you money would be better spend in electronics and not so much in connections. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in cable differences but it will not provide as much a benefit as spending the money on electronics.

As far as the $300 receiver goes I would suggest Harman Kardan Avr 230 or Pioneer 914, these you should be able to find online at that price. I demo'd the 914 and was pleasantly suprised with it's sound considering it's inexpensive price. I have also listened to the AVR 230 on numerous occasions and find that the AVR 230 is a wonderful receiver at it's price point. You should be able to find these receivers local to you so you can hear for yourself. If you can't find something in Athenas, take a ride down to Duluth, they have a new Fry's Store that opened up in the Gwinnett Place Mall Parking lot. The H/k is there for your listening pleasure and they have the model Polks that you have. Also, Bestbuy and Cicuit City have the Pioneer, although the listening area for these stores leaves a lot to be desired.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
WOW sorry for the bad grammar and spelling, I need more coffee :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Landroval...I had forgotten about the Onkyo, I prefer the H/K sound although I must admit I have never listened to the AVR 130, only the AVR 230,330, and 630

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Matt...I meant local in Athens, lol I do need some coffee

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39797%26item%3D5724808003 %26

Onkyo 601

Athens, GA USA

Post Number: 3
Cool. Thanks for the responses. I'll research those models. Any more suggestions would be warmly appreciated.

Is it worth buying refurbished? Or used?

The only refurb I've ever bought (though I've bought lots of reliable floor models) was my first DVD player, a Panasonic A-105, waayyy back in '98, and I had to rip several new ***holes at Panasonic to get that in even decent working order.
BTW vols, at 4:32, no amount of coffee can shake me awake. As a freelance journalist, though, I tend to watch my spelling VERY closely. ;)

-Matt

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
I understand :-)

I have purchased refurbished items without problem, however I always purchase from a company I am familiar with or the Manufacturer.
ecost.com is reputable from what I can tell, they also offer extended warranties pretty darn cheap if you need a warm and fuzzy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Used is much more of a risk naturally but I would not discount used gear. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 135
The HK AVR 130, 230 and 330 essentially sound the same. That is one reason the HK AVR line is such a good value. IMO wait until you have $300-$350 for a surround receiver. Then you will have something worth adding decent speakers and a dvd player to.

The receiver is the hub of the whole system. By spending too little on the receiver you limit what everything else can do. For what it is worth a real good 2.1 system beats a crappy 5.1 system hands down.

Athens, GA USA

Post Number: 5
I saw a refurb Onkyo SR502 on sale for $189 at ecost.com (No tax, no shipping, just a small handling charge), and jumped on it. I figure if for some reason it doesn't satisfy me (and it HAS to be able to do better than my 7-year-old JVC Pro-Logic) I can return it or eBay it. I have a friend who's had Onkyo's and really likes them. I'll wait until I get a new job to start building a real audiophile system. My current salary's just too tiny, and my listening space is small and acoustically unsound anyway.

Now if anyone's got any cable recommendations (an optical and a sub, 3' and maybe 12', respectively) that'd be helpful!

Thanks, y'all,

-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 437
Matt,

Check out www.partsexpress.com for any of your cable/speaker wire needs. Check out their house brand, "Dayton Audio". It is good stuff at a great price. I bought 100 feet of 12 gauge speaker wire for under $35 shipped...wheras the same amount would have cost me over $100 at Circuit City or Best Buy.

Athens, GA USA

Post Number: 6
Caramba! Their stuff is hella cheap!
Thanks for the heads-up, Johnny.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us