Newbie :-) Advice On First Receiver Purchase

Username: Sabre

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I've been reading the forum for a while now and firstly want to get me on your good side by saying that this place is a font of knowledge!

To get to the point, I have been looking to purchase a receiver, preferably with DVD player built in, and I have been recommended to buy Denon. I've read a lot of discussions on here about the pros and cons and so on, and we all obviously have our preferences, but as a newbie to the receiver world, can anyone give any basic advice on what to look out for?

I don't need 6.1 or 7.1 to be honest - I can upgrade to that in the future. I just want a solid receiver, good all round performance, room for expansion and not going to cost me my entire bonus!

I've looked at a number of Denon receivers, most notably a discontinued model, the A D V-700 [may I ask why A D V is not allowed on this forum?] which, of the very few reviews available, seems to get the thumbs up.

I then want to pair them with some Mission speakers. I don't want massive power - I would prefer it to be warm and 'cosy'.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1626
How much is your budget?

Post Number: 2
I'm looking at anywhere up to £700 for the entire kit I think but I would appreciate ideas for less!

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 181
Trevor...I assume you are in the U.K, having said that you might want to get a copy of What Hi-Fi Magazine. They have some super deals in their for speaker packages or complete kits.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Vols,

I actually bought a copy last night and it's got some great info.

Anonymous

This one will match better with your proposed Mission's and it's a cracking price but alas it's only available in black at £200. Also Denon with Mission will not give you warm and cosy, more like bright and fatigueing.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/?p=http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzsr5400.shtml?d ealtimecpc|p

The DAC's are actually 192/24.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us