Downsizing of woofers - good or bad?

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 34
It seems to me, speaker companies are just cutting out subs all together or making them smaller because of the use of subwoofers now. I don't like the idea. I have full 15" woofers in my front speakers. They add to the total sound for me. I think they are just trying to cut corners for total cost. Whats your opinion?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1598
I think they are catering to a changing market. It is that market that keeps them in business after all. A lot of folks want smaller speakers that are non-obtrusive and not a focal point in their homes.
I'm "old school" myself, but I think the changes are positive.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 694
I agree. If you have a sub there is no need for a big, boomy, slow woofer in your mains. Proper bass in a woofer or sub should be quick and accurate and not muddy and boomy like most American speakers have historically been. IMO this is a great development.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 175
I agree with with elite on this one...By taking the sub out of the mains it allows better positioningg and focuses the mains on the mid/high range more so than before. I think this is a considerable improvement

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 108
It only makes sense to define each frequency range between all drivers, which is very difficult in one big speaker box.

Subs are here to stay and I'm happy for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us