Which to buy

Milton Harris
Unregistered guest
I am looking at the two following packages and am having a hard time deciding (Room is 22' long by 13" wide, 8" ceiling):

1) Yamaha RXV740 with Energy Encore Speaker Package (includes Encore 8 sub).

2) Onkyo 601 or HK AVR230 with Athena Point 5 System with Athena 10" sub.

Option two is about $250 cheaper.

Milton Harris
Unregistered guest
An additional question:

Would the Energy Encore be good with the Onkyo 601?

Username: Onmedic

Post Number: 2
Milton,

Both speakers a great choice made by the same company! I have had Energy for years and would recomend it to anyone considering a mid-end speaker. Ironically, I have also used Sony for many years with my energy and they are a great combo! You will find the 8" sub, which I have, produces more then enough bass unless you are used to Car Audio type sound. The other brand name that came out of the same factory as the Energy and the Athena is Mirage. You may want to check out the Mirage too! I have never had a problem with my Energy or Yamaha.

Happy shopping!

Username: Onmedic

Post Number: 3
Where did Sony come from in my post above??? I meant Yamaha. I have a RX-V495 and it has performed wonderfully with my e:XL series speakers.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 296
Try to hear onkyo 800 or above - and compare for a little more. I like the sound of upper model onkyo - smooth and rich.

Panasonic sa-xr45 is another nice one for only $300.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/handr-deals/30044.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/secrets-logo-header-cc.gif

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 43
i have to be honest, i wouldn't put speakers in a room that is 22 feet by 13 inches by 8 inches. the accoustics would be horrible not to mention the seating.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 89
matthew: you are funny :-)

Milton Harris
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your input so far. Sorry about the 8" ceiling, yes that would be tight.

I am trying select one of the three receivers (The Onkyo 601, HK 230 and Yamaha RXV 730)

and between the Energy Encore and Athena Point 5 (10" sub).

Want to decide this week.

sarandon
Unregistered guest
milton i can honestly tell you that the yamaha is a weak but still a good receiver. i may be a yamaha fan but i will have to go with the onkyo 601 or the marantz sr-5400 which btw has gotten great reviews by the sound and vision crew!!

Anonymous

Milton, I have a NAD T753 paired with Canton Ergo front speakers, Paradigm sub and the Athena Point 5 center with 2 Point 5 speakers for the surrounds and 2 for the B speakers in my office. The Point 5's seem very clear and accurate and are good match with my Cantons. I have really enjoyed the sound as I listen to a lot of music while working in my office. They sound much better with the NAD (IMHO) than with the Marantz 6300 the dealer loaned me for a few weeks. The Point 5 also seem to sound better as they "break in" like the owners manual says. I have not heard the Energy Encore. You really can hear a difference between receivers. As many have posted, try to hear for yourself. Best Wishes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us