Problem with my HK7200

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
I have a few problems regarding my HK AVR7200. Firstly, when i turn my amp on and put it on the cd input and then subsequently turn my cd player on, it makes a big popping/crackling sound coming out of all my speakers. When I turn the input onto dvd, and then turn on my cd, there is no sound whatsoever. Any suggestions as to why this noise is occuring? It's quite loud, and sounds harmful to my speakers. Also, my light that lights up when I turn the amp to cd is burnt out now. I am wondering if the cd input in general is defective. I have had my reciever for half a year now, and it started doing this recently. I also bought a new avr stand, and it's open at the front, sides and back. But I have a clearance of about an inch at the top. Is that sufficient enough? I love my HK, and I am the HKFAN, but these problems are kind of worrying me a little bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 85
That doesn't sound good. I don't have any of those issues with my AVR-525. I do, however, have my AVR on the top of my Salamandar Systems Archetype 5.0 rack, so it breathes freely and openly. Sounds like something with the CD input.

Post Number: 113
HKFan: is this problem corrected?

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
No it's still there. I am mad that I have to disconnect all my equipment and have to take my receiver in. I love my HK, but I am not impressed with the build quality of this reciever. Does anyone know what the problem could be.

Post Number: 116
Hmmm, I reread your note. I'm wondering if it's the CD player... or there was a line-level spike across the input which caused this. You're using the analog inputs (I assume)? If it's the inputs, try using your DVD's analog output jacks and connecting them to the CD analog input jacks. See if you get that "popping". I think it could be the CD player and the light went out due to the over voltage on the input (CD). Just a guess. I had some problems with my LaserDisc player and the Coaxial Digital input. My LaserDisc was outputting like 1.9V on the jack (I measured it with a voltmeter). I put a resistor in there and it brought it to within "tolerance" of the receiver. (NOTE: This was on my Kenwood, not my H/K AVR-525.)

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
I tried to do a processor reset, and the light seems to be on and working, but it might start flickering like it did before and just go out. I have my cd hooked up via optical. I tried the optical in the optical 1 slot, and then in the optical 2 slot. Both times it made the extrememly loud popping noise. Is it my cable, cd player or what? I have no idea. I know this pop could not be good for my speakers nor my amp.

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
I tried hooking my dvd player up which is a yamaha via optical to the cd input, and there was no popping noise. But the light for the cd input started flickering and then just went dead again. I think the cause must be my cd player which is also a yamaha is not compatible with my hk. Can anyone think of anything?

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 49
Why do you just have the CD player turn on when everything else turns on? My CD player is on any time my receiver is on.

Like GeekBoy said, it is your CD player. I say unplug it and never use it again. I was planing on getting a Yamaha CD player when I get my 1400 but I think I just changed my mind:-( What model do you have?

I say buy a new CD player with a optical hook up and see what happens man.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 21
HKFAN,
Just my 2 cents, I have never heard any popping or noise out of any input whether optical or coax. Like others suggested to you, can you try a different source/CD player and see if you get the same result?

I have to agree with Unicorn-WMD though, I don't turn on my amp and then the source. They are always on first or at the same time as the AVR, then I switch to that source.

I must say, the 7200 is the quietest electronics I've heard. Even at extreme volumes, there is no discernable noise on any input. Good luck and let us know what happens when you try a different source.

KidA
Unregistered guest
HKFAN,

I also have the 7200 and have not had this problem. It does sound like the CD is at fault since it occurs on both optical inputs. I would also provide more clearance at the top of the reciever if possible.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us