Please can anyone offer me some advice on bi-amping?

Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 5
I have a Cambridge Audio A5 and a NAD 3225PE. Both have the pre-out option; and appear be able to go 'either way around' for use as pre or power amps.

Can anyone tell me how to go about this and whether this course of action is safe with these two amps?

Which one should I choose for power and which one for control? I think I'd prefer to have the A5 as the pre-amp, as it has sufficient inputs for all of my sources, whereas the NAD does not.

I also much prefer the sound and dynamics of the old NAD way above that of the A5. How will this affect the sound, ie: which one will I actually be hearing when / if I do this? Do they both contribute to the overall sound, as in a mixture of the two? How exactly do they work together? Which one will govern the actual character of the combination's sound?

FYI:
A5 is 60w rms (8 ohms)with an input impedance of 47 kohms. The spec sheet says: 'Speaker impedance is 6 - 16 ohms.' It is a fully bi-wirable amp.

Nad simply says '150w' on the backplate and has a switchable impedance selector which goes between 8 & 4 ohms.

Speakers are Acoustic Solutions 80w long term (120w short term). Their impedance is 4 ohms and they're fully bi-wirable.

Is impedance a factor to consider when doing this? I include this, as I do not understand what impedance and 'ohms' mean.

Any information would be most welcome, as it's a great opportunity, since I have these two fairly nice amps. I just want peace of mind that I won't be damaging anything.

Thanks in anticipation,

V

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The capacity for biwiring does not always include the ability for biamping. You should consult your owner's manual or give the manufacturer of your speakers a call before you proceed.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us