New players for 78's

kester
Unregistered guest
wondering if there are any NEW players out there on the market for playing the old 78's and to be able to copy to pc.
i have found some in different stores those "nostalgia" players but these do not have any outs on them.
still have grandma's old mini console player with 8-track included but looking for something maybe better. the stylus is a little bit used

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Rega used to make a dedicated 78 R.P.M. table, I don't know if it is still available; but, I would start there. The Dual 1200 series, 1209, 1210, 1215, etc. all had 78 speed, several with pitch control and are still good tables when you can find them used. Check with a good used record shop in your area, quite often they are in the business of selling refurbuished tables for 78's. You will need a conical stylus on your cartridge to play 78's. Shure has a line of cartridges that have conical styli as do a few other brands. Check Music Direct: http://www.amusicdirect.com/

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2089
kester,

I second J. Vigne. No change there!

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/planar78.htm

kester
Unregistered guest
i'll check things out and see what i can do. a big !THANKS! to both of you for getting back to me on this :>)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2139
kester,

It would be great to know what you find. All the best.

kester
Unregistered guest
hey john a.

have you been to this site:

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/index.html

i found a garrard 42m at this site. is it any good? thanks for your help and support. have a great day! :>)

kester

Gold Member

Post Number: 2141
kester,

That is an interesting site. I have no knowldege of the Garrard 42m. Sorry. J. Vigne might have an idea.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The Garrard in the ad is a poor to fair table that, when new, sold for much less than the asking price as vintage. The price is not the main point as that is the result of vintage status. Garrard was a respected name at one point making tables that are still considered to be quite desirable; but, the 42 is not of that era. For 78's it is an OK table if that is what you desire but I would not be looking at that unit if you want to make this an all round table.
The Dual 1009 on the same page is by far the much better table and could, IMO, be a single table for all your records. The construction of the Dual is, in every respect, far better than the Garrard. It sold for twice the price of the Garrard when new. For $5 more try to get the Dual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2144
Thanks, J. That rings true, and agrees with the little I know. Dual turntables were way ahead by the time I was looking at turntables. There was a Garrard SP25 or similar that was supposed to be great value for money in the sixties, but one stopped hearing about Garrard. Of my fellow students' favourite gear (Garrard, Leak, Wharfedale), only the name "Wharfedale" survives, as far as I know.

kester,

"...wondering if there are any NEW players out there"

Turntables is one area where "new" is probably in itself not bad thing, at least today. Pro-Ject have good reviews. I am not sure if they play 78s.

kester
Unregistered guest
j. vunge and john a.

thanks again, i'm enjoying finding new sites on about this type of gear. i've been to the "vintage technics" site and found specs on older gear that i have and found out that technics had a direst drive unit, sl-1000mk2, made in 1978, which didn't seem to bad. i guess it' time for ebay, the papers, and yard sales. in our town i have found some still good gear during "clean up week" of all places. i know it sounds bad. hey john a., have you been to this site:

www.geocities.com/hifijohn_2000/hifi.html

amazing what a person can do when he puts his mind to it! i'm still going to keep looking around and see if i can find something good to use. right now i have a grounding loop problem which is easy to take care of but just was not thinking when i hooked up the player... always something. well, if i find more interesting sites i'll let you know. thanks again. have a great day!
kester

kester
Unregistered guest
just got back from a google search of "78 rpm record players". lots to look at. this will keep me busy for awhile. talk to ya later. have a grrreat day.
kester

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 72
Garrard was bought by a far East company but the name was bought back by Loricraft here in the UK. Loricraft have been refurbishing and plinthing Garrard 301s and 401s for years. They have now launched a very high spec (and high price) model called the Garrard 501. It's a genuine Garrard partly because Loricraft own the name but also because they have used Garrard principles in its design and because they have some 30 years experience with Garrards (the good ones). I believe there may be a 78 rpm option with pitch control, but I could be wrong about this.

I believe Thorens still make 78rpm capable decks with pitch control too. It's important to have pitch control since '78's varied in speed anything between 65 and 82rpm!

regards,
Frank.

Username: Kester

Post Number: 6
anyone know if "Pro-Ject" has thier own website? what i have found out there is a little too much $$ for me. what about the "Dual" brand, any dedicated site for this? i have been to music direct and... well... just a little too much. plus i did not have any luck in narrowing the search in music direct.

have a great day

Post Number: 9
anybody know about a Thorens TD170?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2384
kester,

Thorens made top-quality turntables, up there with Dual. I do not know that model. Chances are it is very good. Frank and J. Vigne may know more.

Pro-Ject turntables are not at all expensive. There is a "debut" model that gets high praise in the magazines. These days, and according to your amplifier, it can be worth getting the version with the built-in phono pre-amp.

Post Number: 10
John A.,
thanks for the info. my amp is an older one which has a dedicated phono input. although i'm looking into a phono pre-amp unit for use with my turntable to input "directly" into my computer. i have already broke a couple old spike jones 78's :<( trying to wash the grime and dirt off... not being careful enough. on the preamp... i may just use my amplifier and just use the tape out. this would mean "breaking" down my stereo setup. so... i'd rather get a preamp. i have found 3 different brands. A.R.T., NADpp2, and ProJect. just not sure which one yet, still looking at the spec's of each. i have found only one distributor for Rega turntables in the U.S. threw them an email but have not heard back yet. any ideas on where to find Dual's or Pro-Ject turntables? are there many distributors for these besides the web? oh, a Nad dealer is only 4 hours away, not bad. ha.
have a great day.
kester

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
John A.,
just went to the "hk2700 how you hook up..." thread and went to jerry raskins site. this helps alot in deciding which "platter spinner" to get. was wondering if i'm a "platter-head" ha.
i'm outa here.
kester

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
okay,
what about a Stanton ST-150 or ST-100 turntable?
decisions, decisions.
kester
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us