Electrified system. What to do?

Username: Hieu_phan

Post Number: 4
Please help. My CD player (Cambridge Audio) is not properly wired or something which makes my entire system (receiver, TV, mixer, mic, etc.) got electrified. I get shocked everywhere I touch (esp the screws) unless the CD player is unplugged from the powerpoint.

Is there a way to cure this? Should I replace the power cable? FYI, I'm living in Asia and the plug has two pins only.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 101
That is serious and you should take care. There must be a bad connection inside that makes the case "live" - part of the power supply circuit. Something like that might be easy to see and identify if you take the case off and inspect the cables, and where they go in, to and from the power transformer. No bare copper should touch the case at any point.

If the player is under warranty, take it back. If not, and you are not happy about gently unscrewing the retaining screws, taking the case off, and inspecting for damage, then you should find a qualified repairer to do it for you.

I would have a look inside. It could just be something stupid and easy to fix like damaged insulation at the point where the supply goes through the case - usually the insulated cable goes through a hole lined with a rubber grommet. Any wear at that point could be found and fixed. It might also be that an earth or ground connection to the case or metal chassis is made with one of the live leads, instead, for some reason.

Unplug it before you touch anything inside!

Username: Project6

Post Number: 79
that is bizarre. I'm surprised that the rest of your system is not fried yet, an aberration of that sort will certainly short your whole system. Are you sure it's not just static electricity?
have you isolated the cd player as the source? Is the CD player working at all? In any case John A. is right, take it back or have it repaired by a qualified technician. good luck

Username: Hieu_phan

Post Number: 8
"Electrified" may be the wrong word as it didn't shock me at 220v or something. Just very slight shock enough to startle me. I used the electricity tester and the led is always lit up when it contacts the screws and the analog/coax ports (but not the whole metal case though). I was also told it could be a grounding problem. I tried connecting a wire between the floor and the player but the problem is still there.

The CD player works in perfect condition when it comes to sound quality. I tried using it separately from the system and that was how I identify that the problem is from the CD player, not other device. Without the CD player attached to the amplifier, the problem doesn't exist.

I'm not comfortable unscrewing the case as some day I may want to sell it away and the buyer will look at the screws to find scratches and pay me a lower price. Is there something I can do without opening the case? Cheers!

Username: Project6

Post Number: 81
unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is by opening the chassis. Did you use a multi meter to test the equipment, the only time an led on a tester lights up is usually to tell you that there is a complete circuit and nothing more. Do you know how many volts the CD player is putting out?

and yes, it could be grounding problem, too.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 102
Hieu Phan,

Get a screwdriver of the right kind and size (usually medium cross-point also known as a "Phillips" screwdriver) and you will not make scratches unless you are unusually clumsy. Sometimes, instead of screws, there are bolts you can undo with a small hexagonal wrench (also know as an "Allen key").

Also, if you open it up, you have a chance of fixing it. If small scratches are the price you pay, it will still be in better shape than now.

Usually you have to take out all screws or bolts that are visibly holding the case on, then apply a bit of pressure, backwards and upwards, to pull the case out of the slot it fits into, usually around the top of the front panel. I don't know Cambridge Audio, specifically, but it was only put together by humans, like us. Have a close look before you start, and it should be obvious how it was fitted together. You can't do much just looking at it. You'll also get some knowledge of your player.

Unregistered guest
Got exact same problem here.

My NAD amp and CD player both has this same problem, while the CD player is less serious (without shock when touched). The amp only gets 'electrified' when off or in ready mode.

The NAD dealer here only suggest helping me to change the plug to a 3-pin one. I will bring the more serious amp to them for repairing soon.

I wonder if NAD products used in UK use 2-pin plugs too?

Hieu Phan 2
Unregistered guest
I was the one who cried out for help on this matter and I've found a solution now. What I did was I grounded the CD player by connecting a copper wire between the screw at bottom of the player chassis and my fence. I was really a grounding problem.

Thanks Berny and John A for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us