Self-Powered Subwoofer vs Non-Powered (Passive ?) Subwoofer

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
Hello all.

I just purchased a cheap HTIB by Philips for a small bedroom. The subwoofer that was included is a powered version. I didn't realize that the dvd player wasn't progressive and this unit may be returned. Another model has a progressive player, but the subwoofer isn't powered. The woofer hooks up to the receiver/player just like the other speakers using the two left/right wires unlike the single wire usually found on subs. Is there going to be any kind of difference between the two sound or performance wise? All help is appreciated.

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 20
Sounds like you have a "home theater in a box."

If so, it does not matter if the sub is powered or not. The sub that is powered MIGHT be more powerful(as in sound).

Which one sounds better to you. I hope you listened before you bought one. I would buy the one that sounds better and plays louder.

Unregistered guest
Hello all,
I would appreciate very much your reccomendation in the following:
I have a not amplified CAVS multi cd player and a "Digital Sound Processing AV Surround Amplifier" make "BOYIN", model AV-960R ( for the amplifier, the rear label reads 400 watts power comsumption - as the user manual is in chinesse language I have not been able to find out whether is this power cpmsumption is the same as power output. As I want to use both equipment it in assembling a home theater system (the amplifier is totally equipped for this function), I would like to hear your reccomendation related to the size (in inches) and max. power output of the woofer (driver), and also the exact size of the enclosure for this woofer, so that I can build a subwoofer capable to give very deep bass. I am very handy in working with wood (MDF) and therefore it would not be any difficult at all for me to fabricate such enclosure.
I already have built the front speakers, center chanell and rear speakers, missing only the subwoofer to complete the system.
(I have contacted the manufacturer of the amplifier (HEROES SOUND LTD - in China, in order to get information/help about the operation of this equipment but have not received any response from them) I am sending this note from Venezuela - South America
Thanks in advance for your help and hope to receive your response at your earliest convenience.
My e-mail addresses are: pedropichardi@hotmail.com and pedropichardi@yahoo.es

Many thanks again and have kind regards,

Pedro Pichardi.

KHenn
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DAV-990 Dream system from Sony. The subwoofer isn't loud enough for me and would like to buy a Self-powered Subwoofer instead. Does anyone know if this is possible?? The connectors are different than just regular speaker wire. (I can splice the ends and use them i guess.)

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 401
both of the last 2 posters should start a new thread.
pedro/khenn
or your probably not going to get any answers by
asking a question on someone elses thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us