Advice Needed

Username: Farrzy

Post Number: 5
I just received my new Kicker 15 inch L7s and am now looking for an amp/s to power them (1000 watts contiuous power, 2000 peak power)(Preferably 1 amp) does anyone have any suggestions, and places where i can buy an amp for around 300$? I am considering the MTX 81000d and the Kicker KX 1200 amp. Do you think that the alternator in my 97 Taurus can hadle all this?

I am also going to soon build a box for them, probley sealed. It will be the maximum suggested cu. feet, 6.0 so that it sounds the loudest, with a plexiglass front incorporated to protect the subs while in the trunk. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

Thankx

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 527
1: both amps are good choices, but it will depend on teh impedance you'll present to the amp.
The MTX produces something like 1500 watts at 2 Ohms, and the Kicker produces 1200 watts, but at 1 Ohm. Only 600 watts at 2 Ohms.
something to keep in mind.

either amp will draw more current than your entire alternator produces.
you'll need an alternator in the 200A range to handle the car and either of those amplifiers.
larger if you plan to add an amp for components as well. you'll also need to wire the alternator, battery, and amplifiers with 0 AWG cable.

for the box, you'll be required to use 3/4" MDF or HDF, and you'll need to cross-brace and reinforce the interior of the enclosure.
you'll be lucky to get 6 cu ft of box into that trunk, and if you use plexi (use lexan actually. better material) for a load bearing panel of the enclosure, you'll NEED to use 1" lexan.
that costs about $1200 per sheet.

best of luck

Username: Farrzy

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the help but you didnt mention if that mtx amp will even power my subs. Do you have any other suggestions as to what i should use as an amplifier or if i should use two amps.Do you think i should build a vented or sealed enclosure? The subs are 4 ohm each but i was told i can get them wired down to 2 ohm. I will only have the subs hooked up to my alternator i thought that it might be able to handle it. I was also planning on having a red or yellow top battery in the back hooked up to divert some of the power.

Thanks for the help

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 539
wire the two subs to any mono amp in parallel and you'll have a two Ohm load.
the MTX should handle the subs just fine.

sealed or vented is your call based on space requirements and the sound you're after.

a second battery will only put more work on the alternator.
if you're going to be running anything over about 200 watts total for an audio system you NEED a high output alternator to match the demands of the audio system.
welcome to high powered car audio.. that's how it works. you have to be prepared to lay good groundwork for the system to perform.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us