Sub Q's

Unregistered guest
if i get a 1000 max watt outputto my sub do u think i will need a new alternator? do i want 4 ohms or can i have 2 ohms going to my sub?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 512
the impedance is determined by the speakers and how they are wired to teh amplifier.
never go by max ratings for anything.. use RMS power for amplifiers and speakers, and match them up as closely as you can.

get an amplifier.. if the lights dim, or the amp clips, then you need a bigger alternator. that's pretty simple :-)
1Kw max, is probably like 200w x 2, which is fine for most systems with a stock alternator.

Unregistered guest
wut does it mean for an amp to clip?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 519
clipping is when the amplifier doesn't get the current it needs, or is over-driven, and instead of the amp having a clean sinusoidal waveform for the output, the peaks of the wave are "clipped" off into a square-wave.
a square waveform translates into DC voltage, which causes the voice coils of the speakers to become heating elements.
This in turn overheats the speakers and fries the coils, causing the cones to "freeze up."
It also causes the speaker's voice coil not to traverse the path it travels within the magnet structure in a linear manner, so that you get distortion, and the coil windings rub against the interior of the magnet structure, fraying the coils and again, killing the speaker.

here's more info on amplifier clipping:
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us