12s vs 15s in suv

Bronze Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 81
i talked to a guy today that has hooked up many systems and he used to have a blazer that he put many combinations of subs in. he said that in his car wich is a small suv like mine that 3 10s hit the hardest followed by 2 12s and that 2 15s were not as loud. he said this was due to the way that the waves bounced aroud inside and also the air space in this car. i was thinking about getting 2 15s but now am not sure. i thought that getting the right displacement was what made subs get loud but maybe i am wrong. please explain this 2 me.

thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Saosin

Post Number: 11
hmmm, did he have them ported or sealed? that would help figuring out why his 10's hit the hardest, i'm not to certain on small suvs' like blazers but i have seen a 15' x.x.x. in a ported box in an explorer and it pounds like crazy............. also a single 12's brahama i beileve adire has vids up on their websites, i saw one where a single 15' brahama broke a door!

Bronze Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 82
he had them sealed he doesnt like the sound of ported subs. i wanted 2 15 cerwin vega vmaxs. i just wanted to know if there was some law of physics i am overlooking. i will go ported with my subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ahh ok.... don't really know alot about physics but i hear any car that is a hatch back will sound nicer than a car with a rear cover over it... don't really know what to call it, but anywho we have a guy in town who has 2 12' cerwin vega in a mini van and they pound, the van is a honda, i guess the shape of the van gives it good dynamics, but in your blazer it will sound nice my friend, make sure u get the right dimensions for the box for the vmaxs, ive come to learn that the application u put the subs in will define the sound you get, i'm looking into getting a blazer xtreme 2 bad they don't make that anymore!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
oh yeah 15's or 12's they will sound nice, but if your looking for space like i said before make sure they are in a box that is specified to the subs for max. output

Bronze Member
Username: Cbigchrisb

Post Number: 40
go ahead with the 15s. were these the same type of subs he was using? the rule of displacement is, considering xmax, power handling, and everything else being the same, that the more surface area the more displacement. the 2 15s should have been louder, but some subs have an higher excursion than others, causing them to displace more air. the 10w7,brahma 10, or xxx10 will beat alot of twelves and some 15s because of this excursion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us