Best box?

Silver Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 123
I know I know, its not that hard to build a box, I just dont want to do it. What's the best ported box out there for my 1 15" V-max? Links would be awesome too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
somebody gots to know! or would my best bet be to get one custom made by a local audio shop.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 427
id think a 2.6 cf box ported low just a guess though dont remember the specs on those subs

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
you were sayin before that since the 12 had a reccommended ported box space of like 2.5 that i should go with like 3.5ish with the 15. Size is not a problem, nor is cost of materials, what should it be made out of? Should it be vented? What do I do to increase the bang but keep the SQ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
i did sorry i dont remember but a compromise would be a little smaller than max recommended box size with low port tune depending on the fs of the subwoofer

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
heres a copy from a post from whal on the 15 v max

I'd go with something like 4 - 5 cuft tuned to about 33 hz

looks like that same post where i got this may indicate a box as big as 6.2 cf but that seems extreme to me

from my eperience bud larger boxes drop lower but dont hit quite as hard i did a kicker comp c 12 in a 1.70 cf box in a car and it hit 3 db more but didnt play the lower bass notes either at all in areas or very poorly but when we did a 3.50 cf box we lost 2 to 3 db in the same car but gained clean low end and even notes the sub couldnt play at all low wise before suddenly appeared

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
so... like 4 cuft @ 33hz then, w/ what? Fiberboard?

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
yes .75 mdf

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
is fiberboard the best material available?

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
for the price yes. I heard birch is good but expensive mdf is like 23 bucks a sheet 4 x 8 ft all you need besides the rest to assemble it

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1557
MDF is better than Birch. Birch is stronger for the size, but the acoustic properties aren't as good (resonance). MDF is the best for sound quality as the resonance is the lowest.

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
thanks jon

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1560
Of course, it doesn't hurt that MDF comes cheaper as well :-) Birch isn't all bad, or other plywood for that matter, for obvious reasons, cabinets in home speakers made of MDF wouldn't look too hot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us