Best 8'' sub?

Username: Stream

Arkansas

Post Number: 5
I'm looking at the JL Audio 8W7, but it may be a little too expensive for me since I'll probably want two of them, unless one will do the trick in a small convertible (a BMW Z3).

What other subs can compare to it?

-Jesse

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Oh could you measure the back of your trunk With & Lenght pls?

Ill try to find a SQ sub in those mesurements.

Arkansas

Post Number: 6
My trunk has a really strange shape, so the enclosure will have to be custom made.

-Jesse

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 521
What kind of amp will you be using to push the subs?

Arkansas

Post Number: 7
Right now I have a Memphis Audio 500w monoblock amp. I will probably need two 8's if I plan on using that amp, since each 8W7 is only rated at 300 RMS. That way, I can split 250w to each and be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 97
the adire audio koda 8" is also an option. They are rated at 300 rms. JL tends to overprice their products.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 523
Here are a few.

http://www.acaraudio.com/default.php?cPath=24_50

lol@JL
Unregistered guest
"JL tends to overprice their products."

thats what you get for sweat shops in america, high prices

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 277
you could go to walmart and buy a pair of 8" roadmaster subs, atleast thats what i did...they pound hella hard.....

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 278
...i forgot to mentino they are in my room...not my car...

Arkansas

Post Number: 8
Well, I'm looking for SQ and moderation (since it's a convertible), not "pounding hella hard" ;)

-Jesse

Username: Crappycarguy

Post Number: 4
kicker solobaric l7s pound even 8 inch and one would probably do the trick

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1546
Remember that the subs don't necessarily have to be mounted 90 degrees, you have to think outside the box. You could consider a sub downfiring(or firing up for that matter, or an angled box), then you could have a 10", 12", etc. as long as the depth of the sub will allow. A single 12" sub with 500W RMS leaves you a lot more options and will give you what you need much better than 8" subs. Being a convertible, you'll need a powerful sub to overcome the wind noise.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 11
Jonathan, that's a good call. However, I think a 12'' would be too much for that little car. Right now 500w on two 10'' subs in a ported box is waaaay too much bass for my taste in my Jeep. I have a feeling that 500w on a 12'' sub would also be too much, especially in that convertible.

I'm looking for tight, crisp, clear, and responsive bass - I want to know when a drummer is hitting his bass drum and maybe even feel it a little, but I don't want people 50 yards away to feel it. I don't want that kind of bass. I want the kind of bass you get on high-end home equipment - accurate and tight bass. I think a couple of 8'' subs in a sealed box would give me what I need.

But, letting the sub fire at a different angle is a good call. I think that will let me be more flexible with the design.

-Jesse

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 392
Try a 12" Polk MOMO sub. Those use a small sealed enclosure (.88cuft) and have a nice clean sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 99
why am i the only one who has even mentioned the adire audio 8" Koda, come on people!!!

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 21
Because lots of people on here (not all) only know the "popular" brands. I know the 10" koda is a great sub. For what it is, I'm sure the 8 is good too.
I think a 10" could be worked out for that car, since a custom enclosure will most likely be required anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1548
The Koda 8 is very good, but I personally think he'd be better served with one 10" or 12". If you think a single 12" is too much, one 10" will give you what you need. Downfire if necessary. Remember though, when you have the top down, you'll lose a TON of bass response, and you can always have a head unit or preamp that will cut the sub level down, getting quieter isn't a problem, getting louder is. That convertible also isn't going to have the cabin gain that a Jeep Grand Cherokee does, the bass will be in a trunk, you'll need to couple the cabin with the trunk for best results, but it still won't be quite as loud.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us