Bass solutions in a BMW Z3 convertible

Username: Stream

Arkansas

Post Number: 1
Okay guys, I need some help here. I have a 2001 BMW Z3 convertible. I want to migrate my old system from my Jeep Cherokee into the Z3. Here's what's in the Jeep:

Alpine 9833 deck
Two pairs of Focal 5 1/4 coaxial speakers
Two Memphis Audio 10'' subs in a custom ported box
Memphis Audio amp on the Focals - not sure of the wattage, but it's appropriate
Memphis Audio 500w monoblock amp on the subs

I love the deck, and I love the Focals - they're very crisp and clear. However, I'm growing really tired of the ported box sound - it's waaaay too boomy. With the ported box, you get more of the "slam" sensation of bass instead of the actual bass, which I don't like at all. I want tighter, clearer, and more responsive bass. So, I know I should go with a sealed bass enclosure for the Z3. But, it obviously has limited trunk room, so I'm in quite a pickle.

Here's what I'm thinking so far. I either want to go with two 8'' sealed subs and hope they both fit, or one of those Bazooka type subs. The only problem with the Bazooka's is that they're ported, which will leave me with the boomy bass that I don't like.

Do you guys have any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-Jesse

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 125
exactly how much room is there for the box?

Bronze Member
Username: Ne0nblakk

Des Moines, Iowa USA

Post Number: 29
If you don't quite have enough room for suggested sealed box size, you could always get one a bit smaller and put in some polyfill.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 234
if the ported box fits. a sealed box for those subs should fit no problem. ported boxes are usually anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 x bigger than the req. sealed boxes.

seightgt05
Unregistered guest
IMO seeing that you have a Z3,(but that i mean $$$) look at JL and get one of those enclosures that a fit-to-car design they'd work good and give you that tight bass your looking for. PS i dont know if JL makes one of those for a Z3 but it's worth going to their website and looking i guess.

Arkansas

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll get some dimensions on the trunk later this evening.

So basically, any kind of Bazooka (whether actual Bazooka's or another brand) sub is a bad idea, compared to sealed 8's?

seightgt05, I checked JL's website, and they don't offer that for the Z3 :-(

-Jesse

Arkansas

Post Number: 3
Okay, the trunk is about 25'' deep, but the part of that which would be useable for subs is only about 18'' deep, since the other 7'' is only about 7 or 8'' high (it's shaped funny). It's about 33'' wide. The useable part is about 16 or 17'' high.

-Jesse

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
sell the Z3 for an M3 :-)
more horsepower and trunk room
my personal opinion

Arkansas

Post Number: 4
Baaaah! Never!

:-)

-Jesse

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 127
so you pretty much have..18 x 8 x 17 as far as dementions go right? i was wondering (and maybe you more experienced people out there can tell me if this will work) what about down firing the subs in your trunk? this would mean you have 8 inches for the depth of the sub (since the magnet would be facing the top of you trunk) i have no idea how this would sound, but you wouldnt be forced to purchase some 8" subs if you didnt want to. anyone out there have any experience with this method or know how it might sound?

Bronze Member
Username: Sixstar

Post Number: 46
Koda 8. 0.5 sqft each. Add some polyfill.
Go here:
http://www.adireaudio.com
In the middle window, click "Koda 8 Midbass/Subwoofer Driver now available!", and scroll down to see box specs

Image Dynamics ID8 v.3
like 0.45sqft max
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID8V3D4

Resonant Engineering RE8
like 0.217 sqft
http://www.reaudio.com/flash_index.html

All would be much better than the Bazookas. You have a really good deck and Comps in the front, keep it going in the trunk!

Username: Benjaminrbrown

Post Number: 4
Along the same lines of thought.... I have a 323 convertible that has a factory 8" sub mounted behind the middle of the back seat (where a shki passthrough could go in other cars)... no enclosure.

When I switch out this sub, how important is it to have an enclosure. I seek quality of sound not loudness... my guess is that the enclosure is very important because I have not seen any without....

Thanks,

Ben

Arkansas

Post Number: 9
I read around and found people saying good things about those RE8's. Plus, that 0.217sqft box is nice ;) I could even have two of them at that size. Those RE8's are made to be in sealed boxes, right?

Thanks!

-Jesse

Arkansas

Post Number: 10
I read around and found people saying good things about those RE8's. Plus, that 0.217sqft box is nice ;) I could even have two of them at that size.

Thanks!

-Jesse

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 12
Yeah, I think I'll go down to my local car audio store and have them build me a custom box for 2 RE8's. Should they build one box and have separate chambers for each sub, or should I get two separate boxes?

-Jesse
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us