My infinity kappas are distorting with my new alpine head unit???

Unregistered guest
hey all....totally new here....i recently got a new alpine disc player which is like 23 RMS and i got 4 infinity kappa 6.75"

was pretty confused when hooking up the speakers as i couldn't tell the pos and neg on the factory wires in the car

regardless i hooked them up and now i'm getting crackling and distortion during certain high frequencies......any thoughts as to what might be my problem??
thanks much!
ken

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 513
Try contacting a dealership for a wiring diagram for your car. You prolly have the wires crossed.

ken in nj
Unregistered guest
do you mean out of phase??

if that was the case would it distort the speakers?? i thought you would normally experience a loss of bass?

good advice though.....will look into it

Username: Matt_n

Vermont

Post Number: 4
What he means by "out of Phase" is that the wires are backwards on one or more speakers. This would make one speaker (or more) be moving in the wrong direction with respect to the music in the other speakers (i.e., the cone on one speaker is moving in while the others are moving out.)

But being out of phase would effect the whole frequency range, not just the highs. Make sure your connections are nice and solid all the way down the signal path. Also try setting all your sound adjustments in the new deck to Nominal and try it again.

Also you didn't mention what type of car you drove. Some stock stereo's have extra componets downstream of the head unit that are incompatable with aftermarket units. Check to see if this may be the case.

Worse come to worse, run new better wire. I recommend 16-14 gauge for minimum signal loss. Good luck with your hunt and check back if you need anymore help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us