Finally Done VMAX's are slammin

Bronze Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 27
finally got a custom box built and its tight
ported and everything....not made to exact specs but close and the port is a diamond shape that looks so smooth

running off my Dblock mtx the 2 12's absoulutely pound..... the box was made by a 4 time world champion and it makes them sound sooo much better than the 3 sealed 12's i heard

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1524
Awesome, good to hear. Glad you like them.

Username: A3forme

Post Number: 3
The tech specs say 2.6 cu ft per sub. Anyone think they would sound okay in a little smaller box? Like 2.25 - 2.4 cu ft ported?

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 28
my box is a little over 4 cubes total but in the tahoe the spare tire takes up a bunch of room so that was the biggest it could be, he did some messing with the specs and it sounds awesome, ill take some pics if you want to see mazda

Post Number: 5
Thanks, but that's too big. Was looking for something for my daughters car. Need something about 2 feet or less wide to fit in her Kia Rio. About 2.25 or little bigger cu ft

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 502
I have mine in a 1 Cubic ft sealed box and they still pound great and the SQ is awesome.

Post Number: 6
If I convert the recommended port area from Cerwin Vega on a 2.6 Cu ft box. (3.5 ID tubes x 3.14 =)11" multiply that x 2 (two ports) that comes out to a 11"h x 2"w slot port that must have the same length as the round ports. Sound right?

Post Number: 7
Yeah, that's my other option JayJ, but would like to try out the ported and a less concerned person like my kid. She just wants something loud.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 506
Don't let a sealed box fool ya. They can get pretty loud when powered right. With ported you ONLY get a 3Db gain which isn't very much. Oh with the Kicker KX600.1 I just put in I hit 144.2 which is pretty loud for 2 12" V-Max each in a 1 cubic ft sealed box.

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 29
mine hit 150 so its about 5, 6 difference, which is fairly substantial imo

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 30
the guy who built my box has a car that hits 168 i think it made my brain jello

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 510
I could get my V-maxs to do the same thing myself and I have never won any comps. Ported does hit a little hitter but not much. Have you even heard the V-max in a sealed box??

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 31
ported hits a lot harder i promise you

spend 100 more get a nice ported box and you will be jammin

for 100 bucks increasing your spl by 5 or 6 is worth it in my opinion

my 2 12s were louder in my box then 1 12 w7 they had at the shop for the money ported is where its at

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 511
Ok dude whatever. I not going to take out my backseat of my truck just to go ported. I was just trying to help MazdaMan with his limited space. Also don't try to tell me ported hits hard because I already know. I have installed over 50 systems and heard countless systems. PEACE

Post Number: 8
Trust me, I know the advantage of ported, but it comes at a space cost. That is a great result from 2 "budget" subs in a sealed box. I'm just looking for 1 12 though. Anyone wanna guestimate what 1 would measure in SPL? Anything will be better than the junky little 10 it will replace.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 518
If in the right ported box in good conditions I would guess about 125Db but if you get really lucky it may reach 135Db or so.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1530
Remember that every time you double your surface area, you gain 3 db. So two subs is 3 db louder than one. If you hit 144.1 JayJ, one of them would hit around 140-141. It's all about the vehicle it's in as well

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 32
another question arose when it was gettin installed my amp puts out 575 @ 12.5 which i assumed would be divided by 2 but he said thats a myth each sub gets the full power....is this true

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1531
That's a lie. If it's a mono amp putting out 575 at 2 ohms, then the power will divide between the two subs.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1532
Oops, you typed 12.5V, not 2 ohms, anyway, same answer.

Post Number: 9
Jonathan, you seem to be a very knowledgable person. Can you tell me if my statement about port area is correct.

"If I convert the recommended port area from Cerwin Vega on a 2.6 Cu ft box. (3.5 ID tubes x 3.14 =)11" multiply that x 2 (two ports) that comes out to a 11"h x 2"w slot port that must have the same length as the round ports. Sound right? "

Thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1536
Sounds right, as long as the port area is the same, then length will also be the same.

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 17
So, Erik, you like your Vmax's? Are you impressed with them compared to your previous subs. I think i may considering a pair myself.

Bronze Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 33
Previously I had a JL stealth box and a 12 w6...these are much cheaper and a lot louder but their sq is a little worse...

for the $ i like them a lot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us