Full Excursion??

Anonymous

How do I know when my subwoofer is reach full excursion without blowing it?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 87
when you hear a loud crack, that means the voice coil hit the magnet. Thats about as far as it can go. It will be a sudden crack noise whenever the bass hits.

Anonymous

.....um....if you drive a sub hard enough to here it "crack"...or bottom out....thats never a good thing!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 89
i know,but you asked. Thats just how I know. I dont know if ther e is another way.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1520
It depends on what kind of excursion you're talking about. Full mechanical excursion is usually when you'll see the surround stretched as far as it can go, but this is usually coming with some damage, like the voice coil hitting the magnet for example (you should NEVER let this happen) if the sub isn't designed to counter this. Linear excursion is really hard to tell. You can usually tell by listening, distortion will increase a lot when the sub is at or past its linear limits.

Anonymous

Thank again Jonathan
So, it's true better to underpower our sub rather than over powering it, should the amplifier have more than the power limit and have it "turn down" or get a ampilier that has a lower power rating (200-300 watts). Say if those are the choice.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1526
Usually, it takes much more than the rated power to reach full mechanical excursion, so if you stay within specs you'll be ok. Also depends on the enclosure. I'd do an amp with either the rated power or a little above. Underpowering can lead to damage as well if you lead the amp into clipping, overpowering will do the same, but you'll usually not clip the amp as much since a more powerful amp will be louder.

Anonymous

More is less!! LOL
The more I read about car audio world, the more I find out how less that I know. I thought I was in the middle of the ocean but I was just baraly touching the shore line.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 384
also heres an example for you i have two lanzar dc 12's and am pushing them with twice their rated power 1400 rms into 700 total rms 12's (350 rms each 12) and they take it. I think the key is clean power without clipping that way if the subwoofer is vented a vented basket design like my lanzars they can keep extending and get the propper air to the voice coils
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us