sean---Jonathon Box help please

Bronze Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 84
Earthquake tech finally got back to me with box dim. According to them it's 1.5 with a 3" port 9 inches long. Now I don't really want to run a round port (ease of construction) Now if I go slot ported the 9" should become (if my math is right) 28.26. Is this just the figure for the wall along the back or total wall length? hope this is making sense.
Plus the fact that Glass suggested tuning to 34 hrtz. Does all this compute. I got a cabinet maker friend who will build the box for nothing, all I gotta do is draw it up and provide the material. (good deal)
So can you guys help me out here? Here are the specs that I have on the subs. 800 watts
* Fs = 27Hz
* Qms = 5.3508
* Qes = 0.7217
* Qts = 0.6359
* VAS = 2.40Ft
* Xmax = 0.5"
* 87dB 1W/1M
* Revc = 6.67
* Levc = 5.9mH @ (1 kHz).
* 2" Single Voice coil/8ohms
500watts continous (powered by an orion xtr2250)
Since I bought them used I don't have any paperwork on them. If you need something else let me know and I'll contact tech suprt. That may take awhile as it took a week to get box dim. from them.
You guys help will be much appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 719
Well basically just find out the area that it would be with the round port and keep it the same when you do the slot port and all should work.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 385
with the recommended box size they gave you and the port diameter and port length that would come out to about a 34hz tune do a slot port 3 inch by 3 inch 11.75 inches deep and youll be good to go that would be about a 34hz tune again

Bronze Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 95
Do you mean a 3 inch square port?
And is it advisable to double tune a pair of subs. meaning tune one box to lets say 34hz and another to say 50hz? or should you always tune a dual box to the same freq.? This is just out of curiosity.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
you should tune them the same and yes a square port

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
if you can give the port at least three inches from the back wall

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
and dont forget displacement for the woofer and the port (air taken up by woofer and port) this should actually help you with making the demensions a little larger

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 235
is this basically what a square port looks like?? how would i make a slot port??

(ill redo the pic...it is too big... dumb.)

also what would the dimensions need to be for 2 round ports 3.5"dia 17"long

im thinking the total area is like 327cu in. that would be a huge port.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
i need the cubic ft of air space? john

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 237
2.6 cu ft total box volume (not sure if this is w/ ports and sub disp or not but it says "Total Box Volume"

1 12" sub
2 round ports
3.5"x17"
tuned at 33 hz
sub disp 0.13 cu ft

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 17
That sounds like the specs for a VMAX 12. I tried to get that info from Paul at Cerwin Vega. He said 2.6 cu ft was "gross"

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 238
yes its a v-max. gross means total so i assume its 2.6 cu ft after disp of subs and port. sean what do you think about drawin up a scetch or something of how a slot ported or square ported box would look. my aim is iamduff2442 and email just add @hotmail.com

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 255
John,

Paul @ Cerwin Vega is the same guy that told me the DVC Vmax was dual 2ohm DVC.....he he.

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 20
Each port comes out to(3.5 x 3.14) 11" x 1" area, since there's two, you can make an 11" x 2" slot port that's 17" long in a 2.6 cu ft box. Should keep the 33hz tuning. Ran that by Jonathan and he said it made sense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us