Overkill

P
Unregistered guest
Why is it that almost everyone thinks that they need 1500watts to get good sound. You can get your stereo sounding loud and clear without trying to make yourself deaf.

Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 55
You really dont know anything do you?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 407
I actually concur there. you can make a clean, loud system without thousands of watts of power.

I was hitting 151dB with a perfect C-weighted sound curve with a total actual power of 820 watts RMS. 160W each for two 12" subs, and a 125W x 2 amp for the other 12 speakers (mids/highs)

Actually until the popularity of class-D amplifiers caught on, most systems were well under 1Kwatt. Even in IASCA events.
Until the class-D amps, everything was class-AB, which meant low efficiency, and lots of heat, so the biggest amps you tended to see were around 800WRMS total, and they ran upward of four figures in price (think Orion 2100HCCA, Orion 2250SX, Rockford Fosgate Power 1000)
anyway, if SPL isn't your main or only goal, it's fun to design systems with lower power demands.. it usually means less work running things like 0 gauge cable and new alternators.

this is the car I mentioned:
http://www.wickedcases.com/festiva/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us