Lights are dimming but don't know what i need, help please

Username: Daddyluv02

Post Number: 3
When i have my stereo up half way or so the headlights and other lights dim along with the music. I am running a JBL 600.1 in a 98 Nissan Maxima that pushs two Pioneer 12's rated at 400 rms a piece. Do I need another battery, alternator or what? Thanks in advance.

Visitor#78
Unregistered guest
You need an alternator...and don't listen to anyone who tells you to just get a "Cap" or a "Yellow Top" battery.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 689
Alot of times a yellow top or deep cycle battery will help ya out as it doesnt take as long to charge the deep cycle. So give a good deep cycle battery a try.

Dont listen to visitor78 as he doesnt really know much at all. Sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 508
I agree, try the deep cycle those batterys are made to be run into the ground, plus optimas have great strength, so it should be able to handle it. My Optima handles my car very well. And i got A RF 700W RMS.

Bronze Member
Username: Zbruski

Post Number: 54
If your lights dim at only half volume you have power issues (weak alternator). That yellow top won't do jacksh*t except prolong the drain on the battery and a larger alternator isnt that much more expensive. Trust me I have gotten both stranded (needed a jump) on several occasions and had to replace two yellow tops due to constant power drains of my stereo. Get a larger alternator and fix the power problem, not cover it up with a band aid.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1408
I thought you knew better than that, davids and Pat, he obviously needs a new alternator, a deep cycle will not help, so why waste money on a battery when you know it's not the problem? Money wasted on a deep cycle could have been spent on an alternator. A battery will show minimal difference and he'll be wasting his money to "try" a deep cycle ahead of time, like above, it's a cheap way out and simply a bandaid to a totally different problem. Stating the fact that Deep cycles charge a bit quicker, in any case that this statement has to be made, you're already straining the alternator past it's limits, and it will eventually lead to failure. I take visitor #78s side on this one, cap and battery upgrades come AFTER the alternator is up to par.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 470
I agree Davids you say don't listen to visitor78 but you say a battery will help?? Thats about as bad as telling him a cap is going to help. Tah listen to Jonathan and Visitor on this you NEED a new alternator. You will need an alternator thats about 50-60amps higher then your stock one. Good Luck

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1414
In rare cases it can show some benefit, the alternator is still the one to blame, though. Still a band-aid to a different problem.

Visitor#78
Unregistered guest
So there..... j/k. Wasn't trying to show anyone up, just didn't think Davids would go that route....

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 113
i have a saying in the car audio biz. if you wanna play hard you gotta pay hard. Take Jonathan's advice, get a good alternator and a deep cycle battery

Username: Daddyluv02

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all of the input, I think that might try the alternator because Nissan had a recall on their alternators in the 1998 maxima's and I think they probally put in some cheap alternator. How much do alternators usually cost and does anybody have an suggestions to type I should invest in?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 697
Ok guys im glad yall are all so smart. Ive tried just the upgraded battery and all is well. A good deep cycle battery dont cost that much. Once you upgrade the alternator alot of times its good to upgrade the battery also to avoid overcharing.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1424
If the alternator has a voltage regulator like 99.9999999% of alternators do, overcharging will NOT occur. Like I said, some very rare cases it helps, but most of the time it won't, especially in this guy's case.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us