Whats the best amp for a Brahma 10"???

whattha
Unregistered guest
i have a brahma 10" in a 1.6 cu ft ported box tuned to 32hz...its on a JBL BP600.1 and it pounds, but it doesnt seem to move as far as the brahma 10" in the video on the adire site!!!

does this mean that i am not getting to xmax???

dont get me wrong, the brahma is unreal...but can it do more on a bigger or better amp...say like a JL500/1 or a Memphis 1000watt?

help me out here...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1397
Depends on your music and also if you're using a subsonic filter. If you can hit somewhere around a 20 hz tone with that 600W RMS, you'll get to full excursion.

whattha
Unregistered guest
rite now i have the brahma 10" on a JBL600.1 w/ a 20hz fmod...would there be a noticable difference if i get a JL500/1???

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1404
You should definately be hitting full excursion if you play a 20-25 hz test tone. You really wouldn't notice a difference with a JL 500/1. You'd need to up the power.

Username: Revolix

Post Number: 3
jonathan u think u can check out my thread?

whattha
Unregistered guest
i looked at the videos on the adireaudio.com site and they have two vids of brahmas...one is of a 12 and the other is of a 10...

my 10 gets the looks like its getting the same excursion as teh 12, but the vid w/ the 10 looks like the 10 is getting my excursion that the vid w/ the 12...

look at the vids and you'll see what i mean...they are on the adire site on the brahmas page...
the 10 in the vid is moving way more than the 12...but my 10 moves bout like the 12....whats up w/ that???

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1417
There are different types of excursion. What Adire's power chart recommends is power that will get you to linear excursion. Linear excursion is totally controlled by the motor, and is the most effective and best for daily SPL and SQ. There is also peak to peak (mechanical) excursion. You can accomplish this with lots of power and the right box, but it can eventually lead to subwoofer damage, hence why Adire recommends no more power than they do, also, once you get into mechanical excursion, the SPL is a little more, but isn't a huge change since it is totally dependant on the suspension instead of the motor. It works similarly to if you were playing paddleball, and hit the ball and held the paddle in place. You can hit the ball, and the band will stretch as far as it can go, but you have no control over where the ball goes or how quickly it comes back to you. This can damage the sub if the motor can't pull the sub back in line fast enough, hence why Adire doesn't recommend any more power than that required to get to linear excursion. The 10" video is reaching peak to peak excursion, while the 12" is more within linear limits. On that 10" video, you'll see that the surround is reeeeeeeally stretching pretty close to full peak to peak limits. If that Brahma you have is loud enough for you, I'd stick with what you have, if you really want to push the sub to full limits, then you could consider a different amp and/or box. Sealed boxes also allow more excursion around and above the tuned frequency, so this may be why the videos look like they are moving more than yours.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1418
By the way, with sealed boxes above, I meant a sealed box will allow more excursion than a ported will at or above the tuned frequency.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us