Subwoofer repair and what amp to use

Username: Highonpsi

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
I bought a used 10" Orion Cobalt sub in a sealed box, and the outer lip has a small crack in it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/highonpsi/Sub-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/highonpsi/Sub-1.jpg

It appears that the previous owner attempted to fix this, but it looks like he/she tried a very thin layer of glue and it didn't work. I tested the sub with a home receiver (its only about 70-100 watts) and the sub worked very well, but air was coming out of the small crack. What can be used to repair this so that it won't leak out air, and where can I buy this stuff?

The sub is a single voice coil, 400 rms 4 OHMS, what would be a good amp that you guys would recommend for this sub? I keep finding ones that only have 250 watts rms, and some that have way too much and are very pricy.

Thanks

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
anybody that can recemmend something to get the crack fixed??

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
*recommend

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 227
it should be a rubber/foam surround, see if you can find some kind of rubber patch adhesive type of thing... you could try using a patch for like a blow up water tube, stick it on then melt it a little bit....dont know

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 112
i heard that clear nail polish should work fine. but i've personally used plain ol super glue. maybe you should try nail polish because i think they will be much cleaner looking than super glue.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1369
Yeah, fingernail polish works great.

Bronze Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 57
I had a buddy that had the same prob. with one of his subs. He pulled it out of the box and put RTV on it. Kinda smeared it around a little and it worked great for him. His theory was it was a rubber type therefore would move. Anyway by the time he was done all you could see was a hairline, but there was no air escaping.

Trevorradman
Unregistered guest
I have an eclipse titanium with the same problem. I am looking for a more aesthetically pleasing way of fixing this problem, but no luck so far...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us