Sounds cuts off when headlights go on???

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 11
Hey I just hooked up a pioneer deck I just bought off a friend. Its in great condition, so i dont suspect anything is wrong with it.

I hooked up the wires yesterday, I did a good job, but I had to wire them as best I could considering few of the colors matched up. (BTW, I have a 94 oldsmobile achieva). Everything seems to work fine other than the fact that sound completely dissapears when the headlights turn on and until I restart the car. When I lose the sound, the deck stays on and the display is still doing its funky sh1t along to the beat of the music, but all sound is gone.

I dont know why it is doing this, can I get some suggestions???

I also posted this in Head Units, but no response.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 27
Wow...??? Uh, well, um... Jeez? Do you have any amps, or did you just hook your headunit harness up to the speaker harness?

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 110
Dude, that sucks man. i haven't had that problem so i wouldn't know what to do. but that sounds like the head unit. i don't know, just try re-wiring it again. if that doesn't work, then try another head unit to see if it still does it. all i can say is keep on troubleshooting.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 12
I found out that if I turn the dimmer all the way down the sound will return. Something must be F'd up with my wiring.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 334
yes i suspected that prob your remote wire on the wrong wire

Username: Document_c

NY

Post Number: 4
Your system is draining too much energy from your power supply you need to buy yourself a strike capicitor (sp?). I think this should fix it but I make no guarantees.

Bronze Member
Username: Grantley

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 26
Don't bother with a cap. They don't do anything anyway. It is your wiring, and the colors won't necessarily match with the wiring of the Olds. I don't know if you're learned with a Volt/Ohm meter... if not look around online and I'm sure that you'll find a wiring diagram for your Olds that will tell you what wires are your main power, your accessory and your ground wires... as well as your speaker wires.

addicted 2 bass
Unregistered guest
grantly caps do work either caps,wiring,alternator or batery
had same problom but the answer 2 mi problem was the alternator but 4 u it could most likely one of the above

Anonymous

caps only help in certain situations...sometimes they can hurt more that they help though!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 90
how do caps hurt? because i bought one and I dont want it to hurt anything.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 138
if you get a cap it may "seem" to fix the problem...but it may only cover it up!!!

therefore the problem will still exist and will continue to get worse...for example:

if you get a cap because your lites dim and when u put the cap in your lite quit dimming, you still my not have enough amperage to supply your electrical system...your alt still wont be able to keep up...you will eventually burn out your alternator!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 94
nooooooooo!!!
I just replaced my alt. And then got a cap.
About 3 weeks ago.

Bronze Member
Username: Grantley

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 28
Caps SEEM like the answer to electrical problems... If you need more electrical juice to go to your system, a cap won't do it. The alternator keeps the power flowing throughout your car because the battery keeps getting 'charged' in a figure of speech. A cap won't provide you with anymore power than what your alternator is producing. If you replace your alt. to feed your whole vehicle and your amp(s) with room to spare on your alt. you're fine. How they can hurt... they hurt the wallet. They can appeal to the eyes and look cool with the LED readings... :-) So Johnny you can keep the cap if you like the looks but if you just replaced your alternator with a larger one you should be good.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 16
Update, messed with the wires some more.

Now I can listen to music with headlights without problem, except now I have no dash lights...!

Damn, does anyone have a good place to find wiring diagrams for a 94 olds. I need to know which color wire has to do with the dashlights. Any suggestions on whats going on here?

Do you think i messed with the dash wire before its connection into the HU, or did I hook some other wire (maybe the remote wire?) onto the dash light wire after leaving the HU? Should there only be a wire having to do with the dash lights going INTO the HU? Or is there typically one coming OUT of it as well?

Anyone with good wiring or electronics knowledge here?

Bronze Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 94
why is your dashlights hooked to your h\u?
Batt. wire from h\u to (depends on how you want to do it, you can go straight to the batt, or to the fuse box, should be a fuse in the box for radio. Assy. wire from h\u to empty assy. on the fuse box.
The no dashlights problem---Did you check the fuse. messing with all the wires you could have blown the fuse.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 18
Good idea, I will check the fuse.

-------------
why is your dashlights hooked to your h/u?
-------------
- I don't even know that it is, all I know is I lost dashlights after installing head unit.

Thanks for all help, I will keep workin on it.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 19
I will check the fuse, I didnt think of that for some reason.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us