Rem cont fails to switch amp...

Username: Ratboy

Reading, BERKSHIRE UK

Post Number: 1
I have recently fitted a Legacy 500 amp to my lovely entry model 1998 Polo (why, I hear you ask... well, I was given the kit!).

I ran some 8 guage thin wall PTFE cable from my battery, with an aircraft circuit breaker in line on my battery, and provided an earth to the airframe... sorry... chassis. I also ran some smaller size 20 cable from the rem. cont. of my Kenwood KDC-M4524 mp3 head unit to the rem input of the amp.

Now, I thought I'd done a good job. Switched it all on, nothing.

Checked voltages. From the rem out to the heatsink on the head unit, I got 4.5V, but from the rem out to earth, I got
1.8V...??? Got the same at the amp end of the wire. These readings were all the same with the unit on or off, so I'd say they were merely transient.

I know the amp's working, because I just bridged the power and rem terminals on the amp. Only problem with that is having the pull the CB under the hood every time I leave it for fear of 'battery au flat'!

Maybe I could take the rem signal from the head unit's 'ignition feed' cable. Any takes on that...?

Anyone got any ideas, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers...

Steve

Username: Ratboy

Reading, BERKSHIRE UK

Post Number: 2
My appologies. It seems I have been a little dim. On downloading the manual for my head unit, I've found out that the top chaps at Kenwood have called the rem output - wait for it - p.cont! Also, they have conbined it with the antenna control. The rem. cont. output from the head unit is for a stalk remote. Only one cable (two if you include ground) for a remote control?*$£! I can only assume it used pulse or bandwidth translation. If anyone knows I'd be interested to find out.

Anyway, fact of the matter is... amp now connected properly and ears are producing a slight clear discharge... NICE!!!

All the best,

Steve
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us