JL overpriced and overrated amateurs wet dream

Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 44
So many people talk about JL this JL that please JL is over priced and overrated and overpriced a second time. If you want subs I mean real subs take a look at X.X.X. man that sub will destroy the W7 in SQ and SPL, or check out SOLO X or RFL TREO all of those will kill the W7 and probably cost less money. As far as the godly JL 1000/1 great good job for JL, and that it puts out 1000 at 1.5-4 ohm but come one again overpriced and overrated take a look at USamps they will crush the JL 1000/1. If you dont care about the money that you spend and you just want to say HEY I GOT JL YEAH MAN BEST STUFF IN THE WORLD or that's what cartoys says or all the magazines that are again get paid by JL to run adds they are not going to say "hey yeah good stuff and for the money you can do way better." Of course not. You want some real amps take a look at USamps, McIntosh, JBL BPX, Orion, Crossfire, Earthquake, you want killer subs that will crush the W7 take a look at Treo CSX for SPL SSX for spl and sq, Resonant Engineering X X X man that sub insane saw it running off a Planet Audio 2250D and it hit 152db. One sub I don't see any W7 doing that. Bottom line, JL great stuff too much money which you can spend on a lot better sounding and looking products. JL owners good for you I am sure your stuff sounds great but for less then what you spent I can assemble a system that will blow your stuff away.

Anonymous

i agree, jl is overpriced but they are not overrated. they earned their reputation as being one of the best car audio companys in the buisness. just thought id let you know

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 393
I use all Orion amplifiers and signal processors in my current setup.
Their balanced 15 volt line drivers are very handy.
My next system I've got drawn up is all Zapco.
My next choices for amplifiers would be McIntosh and Sinfoni.

All of these amplifiers are far more expensive than the JL however, with many of the cheapest models coming in at about $1,500

Post Number: 394
by the way, if you think the JL Audio 1000/1 is expensive, I suggest you never get into mid to high end home audio..
ever.

I have RCA interconnects that cost more per meter than a 1000/1 costs, between my pre/pro and amplifiers in my home system. Home audio easily has single components that cost more than most cars. I haven't seen a lot of car audio speakers that are $6,500/pair, but that was the price of my mains at home, and they were two models down from the company's flagship speakers, which have a hefty pricetag of $75,000 per matched pair and weigh in at 1,800lbs..
Just something to think about when you complain about prices of car audio. The best car audio systems don't even scratch the surface of price and complexity compared to the home audio realm.

Post Number: 53
Glass I know you have a great expensive home stereo but we are talking about car stereo if anyone spends 75000 on car stereo then they are doing something wrong. And by the way if you are ever selling your orion products or any other car audio stuff let me know what you have. And you saw taht they all come about 1500 come on you are the one who is always talking about street value or what you can get it for on ebay the same goes for all that other stuff you can get awsome orion amps for 500 or 600.

Post Number: 408
I'm talking new with warranty prices in brick and mortar stores.
McIntosh and Sinfoni are very hard to find even on eBay.
You can get steals on older Orion amps there though!

I've thought about selling my stuff now and then. I'll keep ya posted :-)

I just meant to compare how horrendously expensive home audio can get.. every time I start to think "dang this car stuff is adding up fast" I stop and think "oh yeah.. heh still beats the crap out of that $20,000 Krell amplifier I want" hahahaha

Go to ebay some time and search on "orion HCCA" and "orion SX" and see what pops up. you'll find some kick butt amplifiers usually for about what you'd pay for a run of the mill JBL.
If you ever buy one, you'll love it. especially if you can find an Orion 300-PRQ to go with it (pre amp)
it takes unbalanced RCA lines in, and runs DIN out to teh amplifiers using balanced 15V line drivers self powered through the amplifier. neat stuff.
also gives you 3 EQ bands and an analog volume knob.

Post Number: 57
Hey glass Iam selling my MTX amp but I want to get the Planet Audio P-2250D thats last years model of the TT-2250D. Now I know Planet is made by Boss and Boss is crap but MTX and Xtant are made by the same brand and on is better then the other quality wise. So i figure the planet shouldnt be that bad also since its their biggest baddest amp. RMS rated 1 ohm 2500 2ohm 1500 4 ohm 800 even if it is over rated its still preaty good. So I dont know I want your thoughts on it. For 340 bucks that amp is mine. And later on I can wire some other subs at 1ohm and if I want more power this amp can be straped to another amp and double up. What do you think.

Post Number: 419
people seem to like planet's stuff.
that's a lot of power. 2500 watts is 230A of current for that amplifier alone (given that's a class-D amp with ~90% efficiency)
you're going to need one HUGE alternator for that thing.

why exactly do you think ya need that much power anyway? Are you doing a raw SPL system?

Post Number: 58
No just incase I get 2 subs that need power. Iam selling everything I have Iam going to have around 700 dollars to spend. What do you think I should get. The loudest system at my school is a pair of 12" Diamond Audio TDX in a downfiring sealed box. So what ever I get needs to be louder than that. Those TDX's are running off of the Xtant 1001 and these have 22mm xmax. So I dont know what I can get for 700 to beat that. I was thinking 2 Xtant x124 The 12" singel 4 ohm wire to 2 ohm hooked up to the Planet amp or some other amp (any sugestions). Another thing I was thinking is a pair of W3v2 hooked up to a Directed 1100 amp. But I dont know If the w3 can beat the TDX those are nice. And Iam note sure about the Xtant's either. So I was thinking maybe the Eclipse aluminum subs hooked up to some amp. I dont know help me out. Every year we have a local car show and there is a sound system category and most of people from school compete so far that Diamond system is the loudest and so I need something louder. Your ganna as what I want SQ or SPL. I want people to get in all the other cars and be like DAMN then get in my car and be like DAAAAAAAAAAMN. I need the DAAAAAAAAAAMN factor help me out.

Post Number: 59
Oh and his box is sealed so far I like the Xtant Hexagon subs look cool and I can get eahc for 140 so get a pair of those but them in a ported box and have 1000-1500 watts running throught them. All those setups above are in a ported. I think what ever I do will be ported becaue ported is loud and usually sounds good. Sealed can either be really good or sound like crap. Help me out. And the 700 is ebay money so It will buy me alot more then retail.

Post Number: 427
suggestion:
2 Adire Shiva 12" subs (31.8mm Xmax each)
Vented enclosure. tune to 30Hz to hit low, or tune to the resonant frequency of the vehicle for max SPL.
subs Pmax is 650W each, so a 1200W amp is just about ideal.
Zapco has fantastic amps, or the MTX Thunder81000D is a cheaper match with serious power (1500W @ 2 Ohms)

that combo will smoke your competition's Diamond subs.

you'll have the edge on SQ as well. The Shivas are terrific subs, and they only run $120 each. That MTX amp is about $350 street price.

do a fancy box and you add "dayamn!" points for show. same with a good amp rack and such.

after that, you need to round out the rest of the system.

Eclipse head unit if you can land one.
Kicker KX300.4
MTX 404
or JL 300/4 for components
CDT separates up front, and coaxials in back for rear fill.

maybe a 1/2 or 1/3 octave EQ for tuning the sound curve (set once and forget sort of component EQ, not the slider dash mount type)

get a high output alternator to handle the amplifiers, use proper gauge cabling with distribution block, fuses etc.

do it right the first time, and you'll have it for years to come.
that's probably what I'd do.
make it look good, keep it pretty simple layout-wise, and make it sound good.

Post Number: 60
Thanx for your help where do I get these shivas and why are they so cheap if they have such great xmax. 31mm is alot compared to the TDX 22 or xtant 13?

Post Number: 442
look for online sites. I don't know any off the top of my head, but someone here just got a set for $120 each.
Shivas are Adire's lower model sub. The Brahma is their big boy for 12", with a max RMS power of 1600W each.
They're a great value for the Shivas, but Adire is a smaller company so not as well known as JL, Kicker, etc., who sell tens of thousands of speakers.

Post Number: 61
Shivas has good specs but too plain looking and anyways I think I want tighter bass the kind that you feel right in the middle of your chest so Iam going to go with 3 tens. Iam thinking 3 w3v2 or xtant tens or exlipse alum tens. What you think.

Username: Newb

Post Number: 41
jlw3v2? lol. i thought u hate jl, only dumb ppl who got money to burn buy jl, mtx much better....or was that someone else?

Post Number: 64
Not when I can get 3 10" W3V2 for 300. Infact thats what Iam getting. For 100 bucks a pop they are not overrated or overpriced. For 250 a piece they are. But yeah thats what Iam getting dual 2 drop it down to 1.3ohm need an amp 1ohm stable prolly get kicker 1200.1

Username: Newb

Post Number: 42
jl specs really not that impressive unless u go w6 or w7 right? if i remember isnt Xmax for the w3's around 11mm one way? i think theyre comparable to the alpine type r's? but i guess fo r 100 bucks a piece theyre a steal....ebay?

Post Number: 445
heh don't underestimate the Shivas.. and who gives a poo on a stick how they look?
It's how they perform that really counts, and two twelves will hit harder than three tens. :-)
more Xmax on the twelves.
942.5sq in. surface area for the tens versus 905sq in for the twelves, so the tens win in surface area.

The twelves have a lower Fs though so they will hit more deeply, and with more resonance.

I just don't like how tens sound for deep bass. They sound weak. Great for tight accurate passages like in jazz, but not so great for stuff that's more bass intensive.

just my ears though.

Post Number: 67
I have desided 400 bucks and I have 3 12" Xtant subs. Iam going to get single 4ohm so as I understand I can drop the 3 single 4ohm down to 1.3 and run it off of 1500 watt amp. Maybe rockford 1500bd or the planet 2250 or direct 1100 or memphis 1100. Which one doe you think. planet clames 2250 even if its over rated it cant be taht over rated. So i want most power each of those subs are 500w rms. Which amp would you sugest? And i like the hex shape I just got my gf the 10" xtant hooked up to MTX 801D. She didnt want hers very loud but she wanted it "preaty." SO she got the ten iam going to get three twelves. Help out on the amp thought I have 350 max on ebay to spend.

Post Number: 68
oh yeah or kicker 1200 but I want at least 1500 at 1 ohm soooooo? Iam leaning towards the planet cause i seen it powering a x x x and it pounded it should do the same for the xtants? right or no or rockford?

Post Number: 449
the MTX amp is a good one.. good clean power.
stick to round subs though seriously.
hex subs may look neat, but they will suffer from the same problems as any non-round speaker.
cone distortion at high excursion, uneven stress points leading to premature surround failure, and so forth.

Post Number: 70
MTX doesnt make 1ohm stable but how premature are we talking here.

Post Number: 455
nah
Kicker's KX1200.1 is 1200WRMS @ 1 Ohm though
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us