Glasswolf, need amplifier advice!

Username: P_i

Post Number: 1
I have some Z6s w/ a JL 300/2. I don't think this is enough power, so I'm considering doing one of the following:

1) buying an addition 300/2 and bridge each amp, or

2) buying a soundstream van gogh 800.2

Also, I fear the JL 500/1 amp will be inadequate to run two 10IDQ V2 4ohm subs I'd like to set run.

should up upgrade to a van gogh 1600.2?

Post Number: 2
what I'm concerned about with the bass is that with 300 watts per channel (either with an additional 300/2 or a vga800.2) going to each Z6 up front, I need more bass in back to balance the sound.

So I'm open to suggestions on how to fix the bass issue -- I plan on a rear firing configuration, w/ bass venting through the rear deck speaker holes.

Post Number: 3
Btw glasswolf,

according Soundstream, and this was from Karl Cummings:

"We are NOT owned by DIRECTED audio, we are owned by EPSILON Inc., which happens to be the parent Company of POWER ACOUSTIK, KOLE AUDIO, FARENHEIT and SPL Electronics."

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1299
Yeah, I'm sure that's real comforting for you, coming from the corporation that offers all those great products, lol. I'd add another JL 300/2 to the components if anything, the newer Soundstream stuff is pretty much crap compared to what it used to be. The JL 500/1 may keep up, but it depends on how much bass you're wanting. You could eventually get an ID Max and JL 1000/1 (or other 1000W RMS amp), or two ID Maxes and an amp that will put out 2000W or close to it, that would definately keep up.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4466
that'd be like bragging that you're owned by the company who happens to also make boss, pyramid, and legacy..
oh, and their flagship.. roadmaster!

gads.

why don't ya try the 300/2 first.
if its too weak then worry about upgrading.
see how it goes before worrying about how to make it louder :-)

Post Number: 4
Glass & Co.

thanks for getting back to me. If I do add that 2nd 300/2, what would you suggest I do about the bass?

I've got that 500/1.. should I run a pair of 10s (shivas or IDQs) or a single 10w7, or 12w6v2? Or get a bigger amp? or another 500/1?

The car is a '04 330ci, bass will be vented into the main cabin via the rear deck speaker grills (the speakers having been removed).

Post Number: 6
Glasswolf,

Alright I'm going w/ your suggestion of keeping 1 300/2 on the components.

Instead of a rear facing sub enclosure, I'm gonna go w/ a fiberglass enclosure side mounted above the battery in the rear corner of the trunk.

My question is this:

What would sound better w/ the JL500/1 in my car, a 10w7 or 12w6v2?

I need to know ASAP so I can tell the guy building my enclosure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us